PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Did I burn the live cd wrong?

maddbaron
June 5th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I just got a Lenovo G455, I burned one cd using the burn software that came with the laptop. Rebooted and set the laptop to read the cd drive 1st...but it wouldn't load.

So I burned a second cd using infrarecord program then I got install wubi so i restarted and this time the cd booted but the screen was out of focus then when the screen changed it kept shaking and got more out of focus and my dvd/cd drive was spinning very fast and wouldn't progress.

I noticed further down on the download page, that there is a win 7 way of burning.
My question is if I use the win 7 way should the install go right?

lisati
June 5th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

maddbaron
June 6th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I tried again and I got the same problem... not in focus screen followed by a very shaky screen with the words ubuntu with 4 or 5 dots under them changing color but nothing starts. no live cd no install.

this is my system
AMD Athlon II X2 dual-core M320
ATI Mobile Radeon HD4200 512MB

Is there a special cd for amd's?

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Yes. Make sure you are using the AMD 64bit version if you are running 64bit and i386 for 32bit.

Most reliable way is to torrent download the ISO with Utorrent or something like it for windows, transmission for ubuntu.

Burn the CD SLOW! 4x or less advisable. I generally go for 1x or 2x.

maddbaron
June 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Yes. Make sure you are using the AMD 64bit version if you are running 64bit and i386 for 32bit.

Most reliable way is to torrent download the ISO with Utorrent or something like it for windows, transmission for ubuntu.

Burn the CD SLOW! 4x or less advisable. I generally go for 1x or 2x.
how do i slow down my burner? I downloaded the ubuntu from the ubuntu.com main page and followed the instructions...

do I google AMD i386 ubuntu 10.04 torrent?

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2010, 02:27 AM
No! There is no such thing as AMD 32bit. AMD 64bit is for ALL 64 bit computers regardless of whether they have an AMD processor or not. i386 32 is for ALL 32bit, same as.

You simply choose the one you want from the download page.

maddbaron
June 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM
No! There is no such thing as AMD 32bit. AMD 64bit is for ALL 64 bit computers regardless of whether they have an AMD processor or not. i386 32 is for ALL 32bit, same as.

You simply choose the one you want from the download page.

ok i'm downloading it again... how do i slow my burner? its set to 8x automatically... i've burned 3 different cd's and still the cd can't get past the ubuntu splash page with 4 or 5 changing color icons at the bottom of it and the whole shaking screen thing is bothersome.