PDA

View Full Version : Are you completely content with your job?

cguy
June 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
As the title says: are you 100% happy with what you do at your job?
If you're still in school / highschool / college, do you enjoy going there?

For the college people: do you like what you study / have studied and do you plan to get a job in that field?

If you don't enjoy what you're doing: what else would you do?

If you do enjoy it: what makes you enjoy it?

mamamia88
June 5th, 2010, 02:28 AM
going into my senior year of college. i bag groceries part time to pay for some of my expenses. i would quit in a heartbeat but what can i say i like to have a little money to spend on my days off

cguy
June 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
And do you enjoy that college?
Will you wholeheartedly get a job in the field that the college prepares you for?

mamamia88
June 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM
yep college is fun.

lisati
June 5th, 2010, 02:40 AM
It been a long time since I was at school or had full time employment. I enjoy being here at the forums and most of the other stuff I do, and I enjoy being with Mrs Lisati (who takes priority over most other things)

Phrea
June 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
What's this "job" you're talking about?

kernelhaxor
June 5th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'm pretty content with my job .. I like what I do for a living

proggy
June 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Yup so far i`m happy where i work good medical benefits , retirement fund ,wage increases every 6 months , well treated and respected by management.And i love what i do.
I`m truly blessed.

nubimax
June 5th, 2010, 03:50 AM
love my job (sold by business and retired 14 years ago).
M.

McRat
June 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I work for a real idiot.:mad:

Wait.:confused:

I'm the boss. :shock:

CharlesA
June 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I work for a real idiot.:mad:

Wait.:confused:

I'm the boss. :shock:

Lol.

I am ok with my job. Bit boring at times, but they pay me.. soo... :P

hansdown
June 5th, 2010, 04:01 AM
It been a long time since I was at school or had full time employment. I enjoy being here at the forums and most of the other stuff I do, and I enjoy being with Mrs Lisati (who takes priority over most other things)

You are a wise man Mr. lisati.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I hate my school.
It's like a work I would immediately quit.
I work all day. I have homework all night.
I don't get paid. I have unlimited stress.
It never ends. ever.

hansdown
June 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hi Austin25.

The good part, is if you do the hard work now, it will make it easier later.

dondiego2
June 5th, 2010, 04:42 AM
No choice for me to vote. I lost my engineering job on March 1st after 21 years at Delphi. I have been looking since, applying on average for about 2 jobs a day. Nothing yet. I would love anything as the money runs out at the end of July. I may become a Walmart greater if I haven't found anything by then.

I don't know about other places but here in Michigan it seems that ex automotive engineers are now serving me at McDonalds and it is sad.

JDShu
June 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
My "job" would be perfect if I wasn't paid so minimally. As it stands I'm happy with the skills and experience I'm gaining, but I need to get a real job.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I would love college much better. Here, they treat us as mindless robots who require something pointless in order for our minds to grow.

Jakiejake
June 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Note In Bold :lolflag:

chickengirl
June 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Pity me, for I am a collection agent. :(

But I have a dream. Someday... I will be a Linux Admin. (Might as well get paid to geek out, no? It was my childhood dream to do SOMETHING with computers.)

hansdown
June 5th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I would love college much better. Here, they treat us as mindless robots who require something pointless in order for our minds to grow.

Mindless robots have no need to learn anything.

Good gravy!I envy you.

hansdown
June 5th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Pity me, for I am a collection agent. :(

But I have a dream. Someday... I will be a Linux Admin. (Might as well get paid to geek out, no? It was my childhood dream to do SOMETHING with computers.)

Um.... I can't force myself to pity you, but I think my neighbor owes federal taxes.....

PFFFFT!

Like, as if!

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 06:40 AM
But I want to learn, but instead of learning to program I must spend time on homework. which will give me very little career relevant knowledge.

Frak
June 5th, 2010, 06:49 AM
But I want to learn, but instead of learning to program I must spend time on homework. which will give me very little career relevant knowledge.
High school is just college prep. If you want experience for a job, go to college or a trade school.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I can't! I'm in 9th grade! Sometimes I thinl I'm too smart.

Firestem4
June 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I just started a new job but for the past month i've really enjoyed it. I've got incredible benefits and insurance (working at a hospital has that effect :) ). I'm a PC tech and the work i get to do is challenging at times, but its always busy and the people i work with are incredibly smart and capable. The users who I support are also for the most part really kind and relaxed. It makes for a great working enviroment.

I'm very passionate abobut technology so this is why I love my job. I get to work with it every day. I use Linux on my workstation (SLED); We have SLES servers, and a huge network to play with. Eventually I hope to get more into the networking side of things as I get some certifications and experience.

hansdown
June 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM

You probably are Austin25.

Please don't use drugs...Unless they are over prescribed by a licensed

medical practitioner.

I cannot thank you enough for this.

toupeiro
June 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
110% content. I get to work with some of the coolest server, network, and graphics hardware available and get paid for it! occasionally, I even get to go and see/work with a few R&D projects by companies like HP, NVidia and others. I can't imagine another job I'd love more at this point in my life.

foxmulder881
June 5th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I do a bit of everything. Digital imaging, design work and programming. And I love all of what I do.

beercz
June 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
110% content. I get to work with some of the coolest server, network, and graphics hardware available and get paid for it! occasionally, I even get to go and see/work with a few R&D projects by companies like HP, NVidia and others. I can't imagine another job I'd love more at this point in my life.
How can you be 110% content?

beercz
June 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I work for myself (http://lidd.net) and love what I do. I have been self employed for over a year now (having previously been made redundant from a senior IT position) and it is the best thing I ever did!

I like being my own boss, I can work when I like, where I like. Just need to improve my income - working on that though! But the freedom is excellent!

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I do a bit of everything. Digital imaging, design work and programming. And I love all of what I do.
That is the job I want. Do you get paid well?

And no, I will not default to drugs. I like being smart.I am just tired of teachers being redundant.

Wiebelhaus
June 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
No , But at the very least I get to perform all my daily duties with Ubuntu and have a decent amount of freedom with how I get the job done but it's a thankless gig but no overtime and it's very steady or it has been for the last 6 years or so and air conditioned which a very big deal in Central Texas otherwise known as Acheron the fifth river of hell.

LeifAndersen
June 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Sure you can, you just have to find the right people to talk to, but I assure you they're there. (I started in 10th grade).

RiceMonster
June 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I love my job. I like the stuff I do, the company I work for, the people I work with, the location, and the pay. Really, I couldn't be happier.

Naiki Muliaina
June 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hate my job. Been in it for 11 years, its absolutely soul-destroying bad. Has a huge impact on my outside of work life that is incredibly negative. Stuck in it cause pay is so high I couldn't get an equal pay job if I left. Hopefully remedying that as im doing an Open Uni degree.

If something is so bad you just want out, you have to dig in and work you way out and not wait for magical lotto wins or summit to give you an escape :)

sgosnell
June 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Austin, at this point you have no clue about what will prepare you for any vocation. No clue at all. Study everything, and learn all you can about every subject possible. It will all be helpful, and you'll realize how much in a few years. High school is seldom fun, that's not the point of high school. Teachers are just humans, some good, some bad, most mediocre, just like the rest of the population. You have to do the work on your own to learn, and learning is a never-ending process, throughout your entire life. Any day you don't learn something is a wasted day, so do the homework and learn all you can. The time you waste today will be time you'll never get back, and it will take you twice as long to catch up later.

Frak
June 5th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Austin, at this point you have no clue about what will prepare you for any vocation. No clue at all. Study everything, and learn all you can about every subject possible. It will all be helpful, and you'll realize how much in a few years. High school is seldom fun, that's not the point of high school. Teachers are just humans, some good, some bad, most mediocre, just like the rest of the population. You have to do the work on your own to learn, and learning is a never-ending process, throughout your entire life. Any day you don't learn something is a wasted day, so do the homework and learn all you can. The time you waste today will be time you'll never get back, and it will take you twice as long to catch up later.
Coming from Oklahoma, and not being out of High School a terribly long time, the course schedules have changed heavily. Nowadays, students spend nearly half a year learning how to take a test. That's why I referred to it as college prep, that's all they do anymore.

That is the job I want. Do you get paid well?

It depends if you are able to make things people like. Not necessarily skill, just making what people like. I used to do it full time, but I've recently just started doing it as a hobby because it ate up so much time and the income was very inconsistent.

No , But at the very least I get to perform all my daily duties with Ubuntu and have a decent amount of freedom with how I get the job done but it's a thankless gig but no overtime and it's very steady or it has been for the last 6 years or so and air conditioned which a very big deal in Central Texas otherwise known as Acheron the fifth river of hell.

I don't think I could work anywhere without good AC. It gets freakishly hot where I live here in Oklahoma.

StephenWoods69
June 5th, 2010, 07:37 PM
At least you're getting well paid I've been stuck in mine for 16 years now and the pay is well let's not go there LOL,

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
So, what you are recommending is that I should learn outside of school and despite the teachers, but complete homework so colleges and employers will want me. Is this correct?

sgosnell
June 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM
No. Learn in school. Homework helps you (indeed, forces you) to learn. You may have to learn some of the stuff on your own in school, the teachers can't learn it for you, and some aren't that good at teaching. Deal with it. Quit complaining and start working. Life is what it is, so make the most of it that you can.

JDShu
June 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM

If you're that smart, you should be able to complete your school requirements and self-learn the stuff you want to learn without hurting your grades :D

McRat
June 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

My youngest two kids are about to learn programming. We are going to spend a couple hours a week learning Python. I don't know Python, so I get to learn with them. It's free and simple to get started with, but is still a useful language for professional applications.

In fact, the first class is tonight, and I'm working on the material. Tonight, HELLO WORLD... :D

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 01:29 AM
How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

My youngest two kids are about to learn programming. We are going to spend a couple hours a week learning Python. I don't know Python, so I get to learn with them. It's free and simple to get started with, but is still a useful language for professional applications.

In fact, the first class is tonight, and I'm working on the material. Tonight, HELLO WORLD... :D
I love C++, and am slightly experienced with it, the only thing is learning to use certain libraries, such as SDL, and OpenGL, and I'm having a hard time going from standard IO to gui, but that is another forum. I guess I just wish I could do C++ programs as homework...

sgosnell
June 6th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Back to the original subject, I've never had a job I was completely content with, and my first job was in about 1952. I've had some I hated, such as picking cotton and other assorted farm work, and some I was mostly happy with, like the one I have now. But none were, are, or ever will be, perfect. There is always something that comes along to spoil things, at least temporarily. Anyone who says different is either lying or blind. As long as the job has more good than bad, you're lucky. Mine is a lot more good than bad. I get to stay inside when the weather gets bad, watch TV or surf the internet most of the day, and only work now and then for an hour or so. But it has its downsides, and sometimes it's simply terrifying, often boring. I've been bored and I've been terrified, and bored is better.

sixstorm
June 6th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I've been working with an IT consulting company for over two years now and I'm not real content. We do a lot of different services for 50-150 clients nation wide, anything from hosting server to fixing printers.

The thing I really hate is that everyone has a different network and different apps, so it's frustrating going from one boat and hopping to a completely different one. Ya know? It's great experience no doubt, but it can get annoying after a while.