PDA

View Full Version : Sad stuff.....

dragos240
June 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I heard my step-mother jeanette crying when she entered the house. A few minutes later I pretended I didn't hear her crying and asked her what was wrong. She witnessed a horse get run over by a car. Horses are her favorite animal. I gave her a hug to calm her down, I really can relate to her situation, when I was 8, I was awoken by my brother shaking me and screaming "MA IS DEAD, MA IS DEAD!". It was so sad, she was my favorite cat. No "ma" is not my mother. I hate the sadness in the world.

:(

Brent0
June 5th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I would be more worried about the driver than the horse. :-|
I mean, hitting even a small animal can cause a pretty serious crash. I can't imagine a (presumably) adult-sized horse getting hit. :eek:

JDShu
June 5th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I really can't relate. Like Brent0 I'm more worried about the driver.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately, the world is filled with depressing stuff like that. I have found din my (relativity short) life that you must take it for what it is, and then be happy when you find something good. Because she was sad to see the horse die, maybe you should have her visit a horse or something?

Iehova
June 5th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I second (third?) Brent0 and JDShu, hitting a large animal like a horse is really dangerous. Was the driver OK?

dragos240
June 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM
We have no clue. However it was unmanned. My guess, the rider was thrown off, the horse got scared, and ran into the street.

oldos2er
June 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
she was my favorite cat.

I've had many pets in my life, and I agree it hurts very much when they pass on, whether it's expected or not. However I find that the joy they provided me during their short time in this world more than outweighs any sadness I experience when they're gone.

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Sorry to hear it.
Blessing be upon the horse. <3
hope the human is well.

from one of my favorite souls~

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity."
Carl Jung

and I forget where this one comes from.. but I think it's an old Arab proverb~

“Sad are only those who understand”

I feel it true.

be happy that you understand. :)
<3 n blessings

standingwave
June 5th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I never thought I would hit an animal (except for bugs anyway) until one day. I was about six blocks from home on a residential side street. The sun was at my back but setting and I knew it would have been blinding oncoming traffic so I was being extra cautious and had in fact slowed to about 20 mph (posted limit was 25).

I had my eye on one car in particular when I saw a white streak run directly in front on me from the right. Before I could brake, I had hit the creature! Even at 20 mph one is still moving at 30 feet per second. I stopped and ran back to find a small dog, still alive but not looking too good. Apparently I had straddled him and hit him with my differential. I drive a 4x4 so I have a reasonable amount of ground clearance.

I started running from house to house ringing doorbells and eventually found the owner who said he would take him to the vet. I gave him my name and told him where I live. I felt horrible for the next couple of days but went back to see how it turned out. I remember ringing the doorbell and hearing a dog bark. Could it be? The owner opened the door and the dog streaked out to greet me! According to the owner the vet said the dog had probably been hit by both from and rear differentials as well as the catalytic converter as the dog had suffered burns. But mostly the dog had been stunned.

The dog had been in the habit of visiting some horses across the street (this is a semi rural area). I still don't know what that dog was thinking - if I had not hit him, the other car certainly would have. As an animal lover, I was very relieved to learn the dog survived his injuries.

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I hit a deer one time when I use to live up in Massachusetts. Totally screwed up my front end. I can only imagine what a horse could do.

It sucks when you lose one of your pets. I had two cats that passed away on me. After being depressed for a few days I decided to go to the city shelter and get two more. It helped with my bout of depression.

NMFTM
June 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I don't mean to sound like a ****. But thousands (possibly tens of thousands) of people die every day from starvation. I don't think anyone except vegetarians have the right to be upset at the death of animals.

TheNerdAL
June 5th, 2010, 03:33 AM
He's in horse Heaven now. :)

I don't mean to sound like a ****. But thousands (possibly tens of thousands) of people die every day from starvation. I don't think anyone except vegetarians have the right to be upset at the death of animals.

Lucky me, I'm vegetarian. :)

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 03:37 AM
He's in horse Heaven now. :)

I thought they went to the glue factory?

standingwave
June 5th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I don't mean to sound like a ****. But thousands (possibly tens of thousands) of people die every day from starvation. I don't think anyone except vegetarians have the right to be upset at the death of animals.Except for pets. Pets are "people." Other animals are merely tasty to varying degrees.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Except for pets. Pets are "people." Other animals are merely tasty to varying degrees.
As well as plants and certain naturally occurring minerals.

Frak
June 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I thought they went to the glue factory?
You read Animal Farm too?

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear it.
Blessing be upon the horse. <3
hope the human is well.

from one of my favorite souls~

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity."
Carl Jung

and I forget where this one comes from.. but I think it's an old Arab proverb~

“Sad are only those who understand”

I feel it true.

be happy that you understand. :)
<3 n blessings

I see some like to show their shadow in responses in this thread. ;) not you of course.

lisati
June 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM
One sad time I remember was when one of the local cats who had adopted us brought in a rather young kitten and set up shop in a cupboard. When I went to have a look (the mother cat had wandered off somewhere) I noticed it was injured (possibly one of the local tom cats had been at it), and it was too late to do anything.

Frak
June 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
When I was about ten, I lived in a cabin with my mom. It was a commercial cabin resort-ish type thing, and my mom managed it. One day, these group of cats came up to our cabin asking for food. There was a mother cat, a kitten that was obviously the son of the mother cat, and a stray kitten that the mother cat had taken as one of her own. Over time we started to bond with the cats and they stayed with us for nearly a year. One day, though, when I went to go put out food, the cats weren't there. Days passed, then weeks, then months, and the cats never came back. I never knew what happened to them, but I missed them.

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 08:12 AM
When I was about ten, I lived in a cabin with my mom. It was a commercial cabin resort-ish type thing, and my mom managed it. One day, these group of cats came up to our cabin asking for food. Over time we started to bond with the cats and they stayed with us for nearly a year. One day, though, when I went to go put out food, the cats weren't there. Days passed, then weeks, then months, and the cats never came back. I never knew what happened to them, but I missed them.

The softer side of frak. ;) I new it was there.

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I see some like to show their shadow in responses in this thread. ;) not you of course.

say what now?
what're you saying?

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM
say what now?
what're you saying?

I was just referencing your quote, not really directed at anybody, I am a fan of CJ.

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I was just referencing your quote, not really directed at anybody, I am a fan of CJ.

somehow I figured you would be.
<3

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
somehow I figured you would be.
<3

Was my anima showing?

BoneKracker
June 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I heard my step-mother jeanette crying when she entered the house. A few minutes later I pretended I didn't hear her crying and asked her what was wrong. She witnessed a horse get run over by a car. Horses are her favorite animal. I gave her a hug to calm her down, I really can relate to her situation, when I was 8, I was awoken by my brother shaking me and screaming "MA IS DEAD, MA IS DEAD!". It was so sad, she was my favorite cat. No "ma" is not my mother. I hate the sadness in the world.

Last time somebody around here "ran over" a horse with a car, the driver was killed. (Which I felt was just, incidentally.)

:-({|=

Don't worry about the sadness in the world, none of us has to bear it very long.

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Was my anima showing?

indeed.
always showing,
even when attempts are made to hide or suppress it. lol
:KS

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM
indeed.
always showing,
even when attempts are made to hide or suppress it. lol
:KS

It is only through the other that we recognize ourselves, with their help.

Also along with the thread I am sorry to hear of any loss of life and the sadness that goes with it, you have my empathy.

BoneKracker
June 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
It is only through the other that we recognize ourselves, with their help.

Also along with the thread I am sorry to hear of any loss of life and the sadness that goes with it, you have my empathy.

pfffft... somebody call the waaaambulance :???:

:p

wilee-nilee
June 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM
pfffft... somebody call the waaaambulance :???:

:p

Ah captain dichotomy to the rescue, when I grow up I wanna be just like you.

Arleas
June 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
All animals should be treated with kindness.

It's pretty sad to see people complaining about how much their car was damaged, or that preferring the safety of people over animals somehow makes the animal redundant in our affections.

You know, the earth and all the creatures on it wasn't designed for cars to come screaming down roads, belching out fumes and killing wildlife.

I find animals killed by cars to be the most senseless, wasteful and heartbreaking things.

The Real Dave
June 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I never thought I would hit an animal (except for bugs anyway) until one day. I was about six blocks from home on a residential side street. The sun was at my back but setting and I knew it would have been blinding oncoming traffic so I was being extra cautious and had in fact slowed to about 20 mph (posted limit was 25).

I had my eye on one car in particular when I saw a white streak run directly in front on me from the right. Before I could brake, I had hit the creature! Even at 20 mph one is still moving at 30 feet per second. I stopped and ran back to find a small dog, still alive but not looking too good. Apparently I had straddled him and hit him with my differential. I drive a 4x4 so I have a reasonable amount of ground clearance.

I started running from house to house ringing doorbells and eventually found the owner who said he would take him to the vet. I gave him my name and told him where I live. I felt horrible for the next couple of days but went back to see how it turned out. I remember ringing the doorbell and hearing a dog bark. Could it be? The owner opened the door and the dog streaked out to greet me! According to the owner the vet said the dog had probably been hit by both from and rear differentials as well as the catalytic converter as the dog had suffered burns. But mostly the dog had been stunned.

The dog had been in the habit of visiting some horses across the street (this is a semi rural area). I still don't know what that dog was thinking - if I had not hit him, the other car certainly would have. As an animal lover, I was very relieved to learn the dog survived his injuries.

Congrats for actually owning up and trying to help, most people would just drive off.

I've never hit an animal (fingers crossed) though my uncle in Australia hit a wombat in his Mitsu Magna estate. The car was fitted with bullbars, and hit the wombat at around 60mph.

The car was written off, the bullbars buckling in against the engine bay, and other damage.

The wombat got back up, and walked away, as if nothing had happened. Little tanks them things :)

@Dragos, I'm sorry that you were put into that situation. I've felt the way your aunt did, in that I tend not to get emotionally linked to animals, but I can sympathise. My girlfriend had rescued a little tiny baby kitten a few months ago, and worked tirelessly to keep her alive. It was difficult, a complete uphill struggle, and but finally after a couple of weeks, things seemed good, she was getting stronger and stronger. Until one night, when she found her dead. She smothered herself in her bedding :(

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM

:lol:
really.

the lack of empathy in the world
(or at least in this society)
is astounding..
in the saddest of ways.

dragos240
June 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM
@Dragos, I'm sorry that you were put into that situation. I've felt the way your aunt did, in that I tend not to get emotionally linked to animals, but I can sympathise. My girlfriend had rescued a little tiny baby kitten a few months ago, and worked tirelessly to keep her alive. It was difficult, a complete uphill struggle, and but finally after a couple of weeks, things seemed good, she was getting stronger and stronger. Until one night, when she found her dead. She smothered herself in her bedding :(

Dragos, I'm sorry that you were put into that situation. I've felt the way your aunt did, in that I tend not to get emotionally linked to animals,

I've felt the way your aunt did, in that I

aunt
Step-mother you silly person!

murderslastcrow
June 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The world is cruel sometimes. However, the overwhelming majority of the time, we tend to do very well in the majority of situations. Otherwise there would be no such thing as adulthood.

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Otherwise there would be no such thing as adulthood.

Just remember who "created" this world we live in today~
"Adults"~ (seem to be very poor 'creators')~
[or would that be destroyers?].lol
I sometimes wonder if children could not do a better job.
(ok, I am sometimes positive that children could) ;)

But I digress..
I am off topic, yet again. lol

JDShu
June 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Don't worry about the sadness in the world, none of us has to bear it very long.

That is... morbid. :(

JDShu
June 5th, 2010, 10:41 PM
It's pretty sad to see people complaining about how much their car was damaged, or that preferring the safety of people over animals somehow makes the animal redundant in our affections.

Only vegans are allowed to claim the moral high ground here :P

If you are one, then more power to you.

Rasa1111
June 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Only vegans are allowed to claim the moral high ground here :P

If you are one, then more power to you.

thanks. ;) <3

BoneKracker
June 6th, 2010, 02:09 AM

That's fine, as long as you know what "dichotomy" actually means by then. :p

Off Topic
June 6th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I gave her a hug to calm her down

You used this tragedy as an excuse to cop a feel?

BoneKracker
June 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM
That is... morbid. :(

It's also true. Life goes by fast. Better to gain the wisdom early that good and bad come hand in hand and that all things are relative (including happiness and sadness).

Read some Buddhist philosophy. Or, you can't handle that, read The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. Here's an excerpt pertinent to the OP:

Then a woman said, "Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow."

And he answered:

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.

And how else can it be?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?

And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."

But I say unto you, they are inseparable.

Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.

Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.

When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

wilee-nilee
June 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
That's fine, as long as you know what "dichotomy" actually means by then. :p

I also understand the definition of a conflated ego as well.

You continuously just argue with people to support this state. Your response here is a perfect example just a passive aggressive stance with no substance.

Rasa1111
June 6th, 2010, 02:29 AM

You continuously just argue with people to support this state. Your response here is a perfect example just a passive aggressive stance with no substance.

+1
True that.

BoneKracker
June 6th, 2010, 03:48 AM
+1
True that.

No substance? I think there is plenty of substance to it. Did you even read the last post?

Someone else is not "arguing" just because you (or Rasa111) say something that's wrong and then get all defensive and hostile when it's pointed out. Maybe it's you that are arguing, no? When you're wrong, the mature thing to do is admit it, not throw feces like an infant, making personal attacks, and creating drama that is unwelcome in the forums.

(And if you are going to call people names, which is not appropriate behavior in these forums, you might want to make sure you know what they mean first (e.g. "conflated ego" :lol: .)

The Real Dave
June 9th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Step-mother you silly person!

Damn, I dunno where I got aunt from :) Sorry Dragos :)

Breambutt
June 9th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm almost without exception more worried about the animal in cases like this, what does that make me?

kenbarls
March 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM

How pity was ma. Sympathy for her dead. I am relating with you. Sadness should be remove. Move on

t0p
March 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I find it amusing that kenbaris resurrected this zombie thread just to say we should move on from our sadness. Those posters who had posted about their sadness probably had moved on... but now kenbaris has brought it all back to them. Oh the misery, the horror! Now they'll self-harm or worse, all because of kenbaris' reanimation skills. Good one, kenbaris! I own shares in companies that manufacture drugs and razorblades, so I stand to profit either way! ;)

ticopelp
March 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM

I don't think being upset is some kind of mutually exclusive state where you can only be upset at the death of only one group of living things at a time.

I also don't think being upset at the death of an animal that is an actual part of your life somehow takes something away from starving people whom you've never met. If I'm not sad at the death of my pet, it's not like that helps starving people somehow. Neither are they helped by lecturing others on how they should or shouldn't feel. So I'd say don't worry about it.

In before the inevitable lock hopefully.