PDA

View Full Version : Brand naming.....

dragos240
June 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Power point > Digital Presentation.
Kleenex > Tissue
Xerox > Copy machine
Fridge (from Frigidaire) > Refrigerator.
PC > Windows (That's just completely incorrect.)

Shall I go on? It just gets on my nerves. Really.

TheNerdAL
June 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
iPod Touch and iTouch. D:

ugm6hr
June 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Shall I go on? It just gets on my nerves. Really.

Perhaps, but it is a huge coup for the manufacturer who gets their name attached.

Many, many, more...

Tippex, Sellotape, Hoover

Frogs Hair
June 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
There was a movement to get away from brand names at one time. The products came in plain packages with a simple description of what was contained , but it didn't last in my area.

fatality_uk
June 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM
If it wasn't for a single brand being closely associated with a product, I may not be working right now. My company is that type & it hasn't even been named yet.

CharmyBee
June 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
There was a movement to get away from at one time. The products came in plain packages with a simple description of what was contained , but it didn't last in my area.

What happens when you put the "a program" generic name ideology to today's games?

John Bean
June 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Tippex, Sellotape, Hoover

It's not globally consistent though, and fraught with misunderstandings. No problem guessing most of them, but an Aussie in London asking for a roll of Durex in Stationary Box is likely to raise a few eyebrows ;-)

Sporkman
June 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Scotch Tape
Chapstick
Lazyboy
Thermos

Austin25
June 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Coke, Internet Explorer, Q-tip

dragos240
June 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Google.

Frogs Hair
June 4th, 2010, 11:43 PM
What happens when you put the "a program" generic name ideology to today's games?

I was talking about household products - groceries .

dragos240
June 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM

When you're talking about a specific program, it's fine. When you refer to a whole series of things as one thing, it's a problem. Like saying "Oh, let's go play quake" when you mean COD.

Jose Catre-Vandis
June 5th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Ubuntu = Linux
or is it
Linux = Ubuntu ;)