PDA

View Full Version : Shoud Google merge Chrome OS and Android?

Martial-law
June 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I think that Google should merge their upcoming Chrome OS with Android. Below are the five points I am posting in support of that:

1- Android being already a winner with capability of running on tablets, netbooks and handsets. With applications that can run on all three platforms will be very useful in some circumstances. In addition, Android apps are not Internet-based and can function without a broadband connection, i.e. when you are offline. Android is also developer friendly. None of these things seem to apply to Chrome, as I understand it today. Does Google really need two operating systems?

2- Google has described Chrome as an operating system for people who spend most of their time on the Internet. There are many people who remain connected almost always, but even then the current "applications on the hard drive" model serves them as well as every one else pretty well. If your broadband connection disappears, you can work quite happily (if disconnectedly) until communication is restored. How will Chrome OS handle this situation?

3- Microsoft will, predictably, point out that people once thought every user didn't need their own CPU, that the PC would be supplanted by dumb machines, incapable of doing much on their own. Chrome OS seems to be an enabler for just such machines, which Microsoft has already beaten back, at least once. How does Google respond?

4- I guess that, operationally, Google will give Chrome the ability to seem connected, even when it is not. If I were guessing, I would say the most important difference, ultimately, between Chrome OS and Windows will be cost. What is the total cost of ownership of a Chrome OS solution vs. a Windows-based solution? There will be other differences, of course, but dollars may be the ultimate deciding factor. The biggest factor in the success of Chrome OS-if and when it arrives-may be its ability to disrupt Microsoft's business model, not what it does for customers (besides cost less).

5- Google needs to explain the role of third-party applications in a Chrome-plated world. Must they all be online apps that live in the cloud?
How much functionality will exist on a Chrome OS machine when it isn't connected to the cloud? Can small developers make money writing Chrome apps, or is this a game for big players and, especially, for Google to dominate?

I think if Chrome OS and Android are merged, that would create one of the best operating systems in the world. An operating system with much enhanced web based capabilities as well as the the offline capabilities which most of the users dont want to lose as well as with lots of applications.

What you guys think?:popcorn:

fatality_uk
June 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
No