PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] does installing ubuntu destroy digital-image restore?

jj97403
June 4th, 2010, 09:32 PM
If I partition and install Ubuntu on part of my pc's hardrive, would the digital image factory-settings restore feature still be available? If so, and if used, would a factory restore use 100% of the hardrive and erase the Ubuntu install?

ebasa
June 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Yes and yes

jj97403
June 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
thanks

wilee-nilee
June 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't rely on yes and yes. the factory image if still available may at the least rewrite the whole HD. Your best thing to do is have a recovery backup, get the install dvd, and wipe the factory rebuild. On my acer aspire the recovery partition was in the grub list (XP) and would just rewrite the shrunk XP main partition, but many have not experienced the same ease of use. The variables may be the manufacturers setup and a misunderstanding of how to use the recovery, amongst others.

The recovery partition though may contain the boot so make sure you know what you doing if you wipe it. Personally I don't like a partition being used by a backup when it could have a whole working OS on it, but thats just me.