PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Shell Permanently Integrated On The Desktop

lukemk1
June 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM
First of all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this; if it's not, please move it.

This is a working idea that myself and a friend of mine have come up with. Idea is as follows:

"I'm really not sure how this would be done; it might even require completely re-doing the GUI... and not everyone would like it; however, I think it should be an option for advanced GNU/Linux users, as it would be a big help in many cases.

What I'm proposing, is a permanently open BASH Shell open, on the side of the GUI. This would mean re-sizing the GUI... You would basically have a divider between the shell, and the GUI, so that you could resize either, depending on which you were working with more. For some programs, which open a new shell (aeroscript for example), that stays open behind the GUI, or has an ASCII "GUI", the program would simply open in a tab of the shell.

The main shell would be dynamic; meaning that whenever you selected a new window in your GUI, the shell would automatically cd to that directory, in order to save some time. This would be especially useful when editing many files at once with a text editor such as Nano or VI.

Alternatively, there could be a different shell tab open for each session of the file explorer. This however, could get quite cluttered.

It’s still a pretty raw idea. I did some Googling, and so far haven’t come up with any similar ideas or actualities."

This should also have options as to which shell you would like to install with it (BASH, KSH, ZSH, etc.)

Coherent thoughts and opinions please!

(Also posted on the Backtrack forums by amlord1)

lukemk1
June 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Bump