PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Help selecting a mouse

TomB19
June 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
My LX 710 mouse has developed the annoying trait of sending two left clicks when the button is pressed only once. It doesn't always do this.

It's a shame. I always liked that mouse.

For what it's worth, I haven't *loved* a mouse since my original Microsoft dove bar mouse.

I like the page forward/back buttons and, of course, I need a scroll wheel. Also, if it's wireless, I prefer AA batteries over AAA but 3A are not a deal breaker if the mouse is excellent otherwise.

I'm looking at the Apple Magic Mouse. People on the net have said it works with Linux, as long as you have a fairly new kernel. Any opinions on it?

What else? Another Logitech mouse? Logitech MX? Logitech Air? Logitech is getting a little spendy. The MX runs around $100 and the Air runs around $155 (both prices from NewEgg).

Of course, most/all buttons/functions will have to work with Linux.

I'm a KDE user but I'll be on another desktop within the month since I'm sick of wrestling with Akonadi issues.

mrinehart93
June 4th, 2010, 05:46 PM
From my personal use, I suggest the Razer DeathAdder mouse. Yes, it is meant for gaming, but that doesn't mean it sucks at regular use! It's veeeery accurate, the mouse contours ridiculously nice to your hand, and it is wired (the cable is flexible though so it doesn't get in the way at all). Just like every other mouse it has a left and right click, but ALSO has two buttons on the side that are able to function as whatever you want, be it cut/paste, back/forward, whatever. Oh, and it looks so darn cool too... it has a glowing blue Razer logo where your palm is, and then scrollwheel lights up blue. Bonus is that it is only about $40, compared to the $100 and $155 you were looking at.

Boondoklife
June 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Wow that is just crazy for a mouse, but then again I don't game on the PC. I have two bluetooth mice and have never looked back. I can use it on both of my computers and it picks up on them both automagically (as long as they are both not on at the same time that is). Plus there is no need to keep track of the stupid dongles as bluetooth is bluetooth!

TomB19
June 5th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the advice, gents.

mrinehart93, I'm going to take your advice and go back to a wired mouse.

:guitar:

fatalfurry
June 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I like the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX. It has a really cool feature where you can have the smooth scrolling and the click scrolling.

Wardje
June 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
From my personal use, I suggest the Razer DeathAdder mouse. Yes, it is meant for gaming, but that doesn't mean it sucks at regular use! It's veeeery accurate, the mouse contours ridiculously nice to your hand, and it is wired (the cable is flexible though so it doesn't get in the way at all). Just like every other mouse it has a left and right click, but ALSO has two buttons on the side that are able to function as whatever you want, be it cut/paste, back/forward, whatever. Oh, and it looks so darn cool too... it has a glowing blue Razer logo where your palm is, and then scrollwheel lights up blue. Bonus is that it is only about $40, compared to the $100 and $155 you were looking at.

I also have a Razer DeathAdder, but experienced the same problems with it as the OP has with his current mouse. Double clicks when only clicking once.

TomB19
June 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I also have a Razer DeathAdder, but experienced the same problems with it as the OP has with his current mouse. Double clicks when only clicking once.

For what it's worth, I've discovered that tons of people are experiencing the same issue. It could easily be a bug. This behavior, if severe enough, practically makes the desktop unusable.

This guy claims he fixed his system with xorg.conf configuration changes. Specifically, he changed his input device from /dev/input/mice to psaux.

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-x@lists.debian.org/msg70303.html

Meanwhile, I ordered a new mouse.