PDA

View Full Version : Would you like a 'Donate' button in Ubuntu Software Center?

ssj6akshat
June 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Just Interested.

fatality_uk
June 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Voted no. While Ubuntu does a lot of work on their distro, a lot of work goes on Upstream and I think that unless a good percentage of the donations could be ploughed back upstream, then I don't think I would feel comfortable Canonical receiving it all.

RiceMonster
June 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Donate to what? The developers of a specific package, or to Canonical? I do not wish to donate to a for profit company.

sanderd17
June 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I guess there would be a donate button per application and the donated sum would go to the maintainer of that app.

Of course, this isn't very good for developers of "invisible" things like the kernel, drivers ...

donkyhotay
June 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Actually it might be a good idea if done right. I wouldn't want donating pushed down my throat but a small little button in the corner of the software center allowing people a simple easy way to donate to canonical would be a good idea. Wouldn't be hard to implement since they are thinking about adding pay-for software eventually. Could even eventually get options to donate to a specific project (like say wesnoth) as well.

ssj6akshat
June 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Donate to your favorite free software project of course!:)

BrokenKingpin
June 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I will go to the project website to donate, I don't want a button in the application for it.

donkyhotay
June 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I will go to the project website to donate, I don't want a button in the application for it.

I would do that as well, but I think the idea would be for new converts that may want to "help" but don't know where to go or even thought of giving money to the devs who are providing such wonderful software.

kevin11951
June 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Something like this?

papangul
June 5th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Something like this?

Yes, I think an option like that on package managers will be a shot in the arm for the free software ecosystem, particularly for non-enterprise desktop applications.

donkyhotay
June 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
The coding/programming part of this wouldn't be too difficult (little more then a button with some dialog boxes). The hard part would be the organization of how to get the money to the correct person/account/etc. within the project. Each project would need it's own account with central organization capable of being fair (canonical?) and of course as projects come/go it would need updating.

ssj6akshat
June 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The coding/programming part of this wouldn't be too difficult (little more then a button with some dialog boxes). The hard part would be the organization of how to get the money to the correct person/account/etc. within the project. Each project would need it's own account with central organization capable of being fair (canonical?) and of course as projects come/go it would need updating.

If Software Center is getting a 'Buy' button,why not a 'Donate' one?

Artemis3
June 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Well, i think Canonical could collect the money and periodically donate to the projects. People who don't trust Canonical could go directly to the project's page.

And if you don't like all this buy/donate button business then use Synaptic :)

alexan
June 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM

So, yes.

For me, also a "buy" button would be fine. I mean, if is plan to give 100% to developers (really open market)