PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04

trixman
June 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
need some help

i am thinking about upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04 in a months or so, i was wondering if it would be better to upgrade right through the upgrade manager. a friend of mine did it and he said it was fairly smooth.

should i sit tight with 9.10 until later in the year, is the upgrade worth it right now ?

thanks

:popcorn:

llawwehttam
June 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM
If 9.10 is working for you I would keep it for at least another month. A lot of people are having issues with 10.04.

trixman
June 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
If 9.10 is working for you I would keep it for at least another month. A lot of people are having issues with 10.04.

thanks for the help

i will sit tight with 9.10

:KS

snowpine
June 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Try a Live CD of 10.04, see if you like it before you upgrade. :)

howefield
June 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
should i sit tight with 9.10 until later in the year, is the upgrade worth it right now ?

I'd say it was worth it, you are generally better with current up to date software, (assuming it works :) ) the features and look & feel in 10.04 are worth upgrading imo.

It's the first version that I'd be happy to keep after the next one comes out, if needs be.

The upgrade path is the officially supported way and should be successful, but many people prefer a clean install.

In any event, by backing up all your precious files and imaging your disk with something like Clonezilla, you have nothing to lose except a little time. Having a disk image means at worst, you'll relatively easily get back to your starting point if you do hit problems.