June 4th, 2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Simpsons_Donuts-01.jpg

Merk42
June 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Dunkin' Donuts is doing something similar, though you need to buy a beverage

sydbat
June 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but WTH?

"Come in and get a free doughnut" sounds interesting (I suppose), but what is the point? From the link
In honor of this day, established in 1938 by the Salvation Army to raise funds to help people in need, Krispy Kreme is offering customers one FREE doughnut of any variety at participating U.S. store locations on Friday, June 4. No purchase is necessary to receive a free doughnut. Are they collecting donations for the Salvation Army or some other charity? If not, that is pretty callus to give the 'notion' of doing something charitable just to get people in the doors.

In Canada, Tim Horton's (a far superior doughnut maker...and coffee...mmm...double double...) has "Camp Day (http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/difference/camp_day.html)", where all proceeds go to funding the Tim Horton's Camp for Kids (this year was Wednesday June 2).

So, my question is - other than making money for Krappy Kreme, what is the point?

wojox
June 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
No purchase is necessary to receive a free doughnut.

You just walk in and get a doughnut. There is no donation or anything. They are just honoring the Salvation Army.

Merk42
June 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
<snip>
So, my question is - other than making money for Krappy Kreme, what is the point?

Krispy Kreme is giving away a donut for free, with no purchase neccesary. How exactly is that doing something for the purpose of making money?

whiskeylover
June 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Krispy Kreme is giving away a donut for free, with no purchase neccesary. How exactly is that doing something for the purpose of making money?

Maybe he thought Bill Gates was behind it.

kamaboko
June 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but WTH?

"Come in and get a free doughnut" sounds interesting (I suppose), but what is the point? From the linkAre they collecting donations for the Salvation Army or some other charity? If not, that is pretty callus to give the 'notion' of doing something charitable just to get people in the doors.

In Canada, Tim Horton's (a far superior doughnut maker...and coffee...mmm...double double...) has "Camp Day (http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/difference/camp_day.html)", where all proceeds go to funding the Tim Horton's Camp for Kids (this year was Wednesday June 2).

The point is that you didn't understand the advertisement. Read it a few times before you post a thread crap. KK is very clear that a donation is not necessary. The leading indicators are "no purchase necessary", and "free". But, if the patron didn't want to be a total cheap ### they could donate a penny, nickel, dime or whatever. God, post an ad for a free donut, and someone has to find something wrong with it and crap on the thread. Guess I won't post anymore "free" offers.

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I've been hungry for a chocolate-iced pudding filled donut or a powdered sugared lemon filled donut for a while now. This thread just makes me hungrier.

sydbat
June 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Maybe he thought Bill Gates was behind it.No.

Krispy Kreme KNOWS that this promotion will make them money. The vast majority of people will not just walk in and take their free doughnut and walk out. They will purchase something else as well (like a drink, coffee, other doughnuts).

To me, this "here's something free to get you into our store so you will buy something else" under the auspices of "honouring the Salvation Army" is ignorant greed. If they were taking donations for the Sally Ann (or other charities), then it would not come across as the greed it is.

And kamaboko - I was writing the above before you posted, but you are wrong...so very wrong. There is no "donation" at all. There is no mention of any support for Salvation Army or any other charity. It is simply these doughnut companies way of getting people to into their stores to buy something.

I am not saying that it is wrong of companies to do this. Stores do "free" promotions all the time to get customers into the store. As soon as people are in the store, 90% + will buy something.

What I find wrong is these doughnut companies are trading on the reputation of a charity (Salvation Army) to get people into their stores, with nothing going to the charities. That is unconscionable.

kamaboko
June 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
No.

Krispy Kreme KNOWS that this promotion will make them money. The vast majority of people will not just walk in and take their free doughnut and walk out. They will purchase something else as well (like a drink, coffee, other doughnuts).

To me, this "here's something free to get you into our store so you will buy something else" under the auspices of "honouring the Salvation Army" is ignorant greed. If they were taking donations for the Sally Ann (or other charities), then it would not come across as the greed it is.

And kamaboko - I was writing the above before you posted, but you are wrong...so very wrong. There is no "donation" at all. There is no mention of any support for Salvation Army or any other charity. It is simply these doughnut companies way of getting people to into their stores to buy something.

I am not saying that it is wrong of companies to do this. Stores do "free" promotions all the time to get customers into the store. As soon as people are in the store, 90% + will buy something.

What I find wrong is these doughnut companies are trading on the reputation of a charity (Salvation Army) to get people into their stores, with nothing going to the charities. That is unconscionable.

Dude...you have issues. Nothing more to be said.

toupeiro
June 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
come in and let me raise your cholesterol for free!!!

no thank you. If I want to donate to the salvation army, I will donate to the salvation army.

sydbat
June 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
come in and let me raise your cholesterol for free!!!

no thank you. If I want to donate to the salvation army, I will donate to the salvation army.But the problem is, they are NOT donating to the Salvation Army. They are just making it look that way to people who see "free doughnut" and "Salvation Army" in the same sentence.

I would have not had any problem with this free doughnut thing if Krispy Kreme had not intimated they are supporting the Salvation Army by giving away free doughnuts. In Canada, that kind of thing is illegal.

And kamaboko - thank you for completely missing my point.

wojox
June 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
We are Capitalist's down here. :)

donkyhotay
June 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM
It's just a doughnut... who cares? If you *really* dislike the concept of this promotion/charity/thing then either ignore it or go in and get a free doughnut without paying anything so they lose money (however small) on it.

wilee-nilee
June 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Here is where you can get some real donuts not just that poser stuff, stop by if your ever in town. These will really stop your heart in it's track if taken on a daily basis.
http://voodoodoughnut.com/menu.php

Yarui
June 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM
No.
To me, this "here's something free to get you into our store so you will buy something else" under the auspices of "honouring the Salvation Army" is ignorant greed.

Nowhere in the article does Krispy Kreme claim they are trying to support the Salvation Army, or that this deal has anything to do with the Salvation Army. No one who gets a free donut is going to think they are supporting anything. The only place in the article where the Salvation Army is mentioned is in the one sentence where they explain what "Free Donut Day" is. They are clearly stating that they are just observing Free Donut Day. This is obviously a promotional thing, no misdeeds or deception here. I am now done feeding the troll.

lisati
June 4th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hmmmm doughnuts, yummy! Thank you!

Helped cheer me up after a couple of weird things happening on my laptop, one of which was easily fixed, and the other a mystery.

windycitybro
June 4th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Maybe he thought Bill Gates was behind it.

That was funny :)

toupeiro
June 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
But the problem is, they are NOT donating to the Salvation Army. They are just making it look that way to people who see "free doughnut" and "Salvation Army" in the same sentence.

I would have not had any problem with this free doughnut thing if Krispy Kreme had not intimated they are supporting the Salvation Army by giving away free doughnuts. In Canada, that kind of thing is illegal.

And kamaboko - thank you for completely missing my point.

No, I get it. My point is, even if they were doing whats advertised, there are healthier ways than free deep fried bread and sugar.

Rasa1111
June 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Here is where you can get some real donuts not just that poser stuff, stop by if your ever in town. These will really stop your heart in it's track if taken on a daily basis.
http://voodoodoughnut.com/menu.php

haha! :lol:

some funny things on that menu. lol
:P

donkyhotay
June 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
haha! :lol:

some funny things on that menu. lol
:P

Never been there myself but I have some friends living out there that say they're the best (though they're embarressed to order some of their favorite items because of the names).

sydbat
June 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
No, I get it.I know you did. I think you were the only one too. Thanks.

wilee-nilee
June 4th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Never been there myself but I have some friends living out there that say they're the best (though they're embarressed to order some of their favorite items because of the names).

I don't know Trey one of the owners but there used to a little club called the xray cafe around the corner from the 1st Voodoo store. This little tiny whole in the wall place had some of the most creative music in town, I played there weekly with a all improvisation group that had members that were world class players, the club was owned by Trey and another Partner. Hardly anybody came to see us except the real music pinheads as it was really out there in the ether.