PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome-screensaver is crap

tnmarktx
June 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I,m not a linux expert by no means, but I have been using various distros for 5+ years. I have been using it as my primary desktop for almost 5 years and have been happy with it. But, gnome screensaver is horrible. I didn't really notice it until I have to disable the screensaver for watching some online streaming video. Once disabled, the screensaver will not work properly when enabled unless you reboot. The problem is, that upon re-enabling the screensaver it tries to work but then dies and goes back to the desktop. I've have done some research on this and bug reports have been submitted, but the problem still exists. Anyone else have this problem?

llawwehttam
June 4th, 2010, 01:11 PM
agreed it is a bit annoying, I remove it and use xscreensaver, but it works for most.

tnmarktx
June 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I have removed it as well, but you would think this would get fixed sometime. I mean, this is stable linux, not buggy microsoft windows.

llawwehttam
June 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
lol., You want stable use debian. I use ubuntu as I like it and there is a lot of work done on it. Its not always stable.

tnmarktx
June 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I've never used straight up debian. I'm currently using Linux Mint LXDE, runs quick on my aging laptop and comes default with xscreensaver.

stinkeye
June 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Use the Inhibit Applet for temporary disabling of the screensaver.

Boondoklife
June 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Or just move on from screensavers. Im not sure why people actually use this still, just turn off the monitor or turn down the monitor sleep number a bit.

tnmarktx
June 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Xscreensaver works perfectly. I like things to work period. That's the reason I don't like MS windows. Linux in its various distros is an awesome os. It is stable like Mac os, without the expense of buying Apple hardware. Gnome is a very full featured desktop and arguably the best. It is just aggrivating that something as seemingly simple as a screensaver does not just simply work. I can and have removed gnome-screensaver and put xscreensaver on a gnome system and it works fine. I just wonder why it cannot be fixed.

T-rock007
June 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah I know what you mean it sucks.

bergersen
June 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm having trouble with it as well. It won't load when I'm running on battery for some reason. It loads, but only the "blank" screen. Anyone knows why? I can even unplug my charge while the screensaver is running and it will blank the screen.

Is it hard to upgrade to xscreensaver?

tnmarktx
June 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Its not hard at all, but your powersaving settings maybe causing your screen to go blank. I think the default is 30 min. Go to power management and check your settings.
To remove your gnome screensaver and install xscreensaver open synaptic package manager and do a search for gnome-screensaver. It should show to be installed, mark it for removal. Then search for xscreensaver and mark it for installation. Then hit apply, once done close synaptics. You may get an error about gnome screensaver, just ok the error. Then try to open xscreensaver from you menu and it should start.

padobranac
June 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Could anybody help me to manage Screensaver when user is Logout. I don't want log in display untill I touch keyboard. I want to start screensaver when I'm logout.

Is it possible and how.

Thanks.

gabak
June 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
did anyone report that bug??

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

bergersen
June 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Its not hard at all, but your powersaving settings maybe causing your screen to go blank. I think the default is 30 min. Go to power management and check your settings.
To remove your gnome screensaver and install xscreensaver open synaptic package manager and do a search for gnome-screensaver. It should show to be installed, mark it for removal. Then search for xscreensaver and mark it for installation. Then hit apply, once done close synaptics. You may get an error about gnome screensaver, just ok the error. Then try to open xscreensaver from you menu and it should start.
Ah brilliant :D You just gotta think simple when using Ubuntu!

It's not the powersaving settings, checked that solution many times. But no big deal, I want to try xscreensaver now anyway :)

rizzeh
June 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Or just move on from screensavers. Im not sure why people actually use this still, just turn off the monitor or turn down the monitor sleep number a bit.

indeed, stress hardware, use extra power(££) just to draw some 3D randomness while noone's around.. :confused:

bergersen
June 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
AFAIK the purpose of screensavers died along with the CRT monitor. I was just looking for a screensaver that can display a selected image file, just for fun. Didn't seem like xscreensaver had that though :(

Barafu Albino Cheetah
June 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I have been talkin with gnome-screensaver author once, and he left an impression of being narcissistic stubborn donkey. He said in rude manner that he will not add features people ask him for because he decided they don't need it. Such an asocial man can not write good software for community. Gnome-screensaver will be blunt and buggy until someone forks it. If he created something else for gnome project, I don't care, while it works.
Installing xscreensaver on GNOME installations is default action for me. Those of you who thing user, not the screensaver-system author, should choose settings, please support the proposal to make xscreensaver default in Ubuntu-bugzilla.

amjjawad
March 9th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I know this is an old thread but just thought to share some points that might help others and the users who posted in here.

First of all, I've tried both Xscreensaver and GNOME-Screensaver. BOTH worked fine for me with different features.

GNOME-Screensaver works "out-of-the box" in Ubuntu 10.04. I've never had any issue with it at all. I see it much smarter than Windows Screen-saver which does not work some time.

Xscreensaver works - tired that on LXDE and other lightweight distributions.

So, I think it's matter of what you like and need.
Some might not need a screen-saver while some other do.

I found this thread while I'm trying to fix my problem. I replaced Xscreensaver with GNOME-Screensaver (Lubuntu 10.04 with the latest Kernel Update) but it did not work.

I will not give up and will keep searching for a fix.
I like to play around and I don't want to stick with whatever default package installed :)

Good luck everyone!

P.S.
There is NOTHING perfect so if something will not work for you, move on to something that will work for you :)