PDA

View Full Version : Android based netbooks?

Nick_Jinn
June 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I was looking at these and they are pretty interesting. I already have a desktop but also have a fairy nice 14 inch laptop that is pretty portable with desktop replacement specs and a great ATI-Athlon-2 video combo....But I realized that a laptop isnt so great for the eyes when it comes to reading books, especially when its not even able to fold into a tablet, so I was looking into e-readers....some were pretty cool. I was playing with the idea of getting either a Kindle DX (Big enough for textbooks) or a Irex Iliad which is like a little PDA running Linux. Both are black and white with e-ink and great for the eyes and big enough to read textbooks on.....then I saw the Entourage edge....This has two screens, both touch, an LCD and a black and white e-ink which can become a keyboard for the LCD or an ebook reader....way easier on the eyes while the LCD can provide color photographs from electronic textbooks. It looks like the perfect device for this perpetual student.

So I am thinking this would be pretty awesome....but its slightly out of my budget and it also seems a little redundant in a bad America way when I have a desktop, a laptop each for myself and my girlfriend, a smartphone, and now an ereader which is practically also a netbook. It seems redundant and not worth the space or price tag if I am only using it as a glorified ereader....so my question is this.

How functional are these things as netbook/laptop/tablet replacements? This thing is running the Android operating system, which was made for smartphones.....hardly desktop grade apps here, though I am guessing that there will be an increased emphasis on cloud programs and smartphone compatibility, excellent if you have an android based phone, and I really like the idea of buying hardware that comes preinstalled with something that isnt Microsoft. I am very much an idealist with a bias against that company, and though Google is also a little scary with how much money and knowledge they have they also seem like they are making more ethical choices and I like that they are going open source....or maybe it was just the wise thing to do economically.

Will this device be semi-functional as a laptop replacement that I can use for writing essays, talking on messenger, web browsing, and the 'basics' that used to be the standard for laptops before they were desktop replacements? Anyone try one?

How well does Linux work on ARM processors? It sounds like they favor Linux over Windows, but I could be wrong. Could this device dual boot a mobile version of Linux with touch screen support? I think that a mobile device running the Enlightenment web browser would be amazing, and the software would be more impressive than is currently available for Android.....minus the mobile and cloud apps....Gnome is still my first choice for desktops, and maybe Xfce, but I think Enlightenment would really shine on a touch screen.

I have heard of people installing Linux on ARM based smartphones and readers, so how about this Android based device?

http://www.entourageedge.com/

Johnsie
June 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Looks interesting, however I would be hesitant to play around with the operating system on this device as its dual screen capability might raise some issues.

Nick_Jinn
June 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I imagine there are some special settings and you cant just install any OS onto it.....maybe you could just use the LCD side though and try it with a flash drive without deleting the Android OS and special settings.....I dont know if it would work or not, but it might not be too harmful if you load it from a USB stick.

But how well would these things work as a netbook replacement? They make awesome ereaders if you are not too frail to hold 3 lbs.

AllenGG
June 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
As Nick said: "a netbook replacement" ? good point, but "netbooks" are already being touted as "Ereader" (ebook) replacements. The "QUE" from Plasticlogic caught my eye, but already sold out until "the summer".
So which is it ? a netbook or ereader ?
There is one called a "Skiff" looks great but no sale date planned.

But Nick_Jinn do not be alarmed, pretty well everyone here has use of more than one computer.
Me? 2 64bit , one is 6 years old, one laptop.
But a lightweight ereader or "ebook" makes sense to me. Initially we will be gouged for new "books" but most of us will "torrent on".
What we need is a sub-forum for new product reviews.

Another thing, should wifi be essential ? 8-)

Nick_Jinn
June 6th, 2010, 01:43 AM
As Nick said: "a netbook replacement" ? good point, but "netbooks" are already being touted as "Ereader" (ebook) replacements.

Not really. They have LCD screens, so while you could read on them they are not going to be any easier on your eyes than a laptop or desktop and you wont see them very well in sunlight. They make pathetic e-readers. The only useful thing about the ones that turn into tablets is that you can hold them differently, and scroll if they have touch screens....if they cant do that, then why not just use a laptop.

Tablets and netbooks are not really ereaders.

Another thing, should wifi be essential ? 8-)

Only if I need to use it as a laptop.

A small ereader is useless for textbooks. I could use a touchscreen tablet netbook, but that wont really save my eyes and I cant read them outdoors.

And I am not "alarmed" by the idea of having too much stuff. I am just not wealthy enough to buy one without selling the other.

Minipalmer
June 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM
So I was just reading your OP for fun, and got really excited when I looked up to Entourage Edge. It's an awesome idea, and looks to be extremely useful. (ie, it owns the iPad. But what doesn't?)

Then I realized it's 500 bucks and I wouldn't be buying one...

Then I realized it only has 3gb of on board memory! I could probably fill that up with just school work! Crazy. Granted, you can add an SD, but more SD means even more $$$.

Just my thoughts :D. I'd stick to a laptop/netbook for school though. Always worked fine for me.

Nick_Jinn
June 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
It will be awesome when these are cheap and used. Next generation should be better.

I think these are intended to be used with cloud software and remote media storage. It has Wifi, so I can tap into it with my colleges wifi which is free. An SD card can add up to 32gb.....Not great but enough for the basics.

The lack of privacy storing your files online is a concern, but USB drives are getting bigger crossing the 100gb mark.

So yeah, I it has to replace my laptop to justify the purchase. So I am wondering how well an android tablet will replace a laptop.

I do want to save my eyes.

3rdalbum
June 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM
My Aspire One came as a dual-boot with Android.

Basically, it's almost useless. The interface doesn't really lend itself well to the 10 inch screen, and it doesn't support an external mobile broadband stick. There's also no Android Marketplace preinstalled and no package manager, so I seem to be stuck with the default applications (of which only Firefox is of any use to me).

Android itself is fine, but for gods sake make sure you can install new programs on it BEFORE buying. At least my Aspire One can be used as a regular computer as well, I never boot into Android.

Nick_Jinn
June 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the heads up.

I would probably torrent the apps I want and install them with a flash card. I am not looking to 'buy' apps anyway. The device I want also has Wi-fi and 3g built in, has USB slots, 2 touch screens, ect.

So you are saying that a device like this wont be a very effective basic laptop replacement?