PDA

View Full Version : Tablets in, Netbooks out

plurworldinc
June 4th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I can still remember the day I saw the EEEpc for the very first time and I was amazed because of the size and the price. Now I am getting that same feeling again with tablets. With the Ipad leading the way, I am now wondering what would be the best tablet to buy to Linux and do you thank tablets are just another digital fad or something that looks like it is here to stay.

KiraLexi
June 4th, 2010, 03:22 AM
It's a fad, just like "Tablet PC's" were a decade ago. Of course, then they actually had real functionality, and carved out a niche in the medical and industrial fields... I don't see that happening this time around.

PsychoDevon
June 4th, 2010, 03:23 AM
do you thank tablets are just another digital fad or something that looks like it is here to stay.

I think they're a fad, because eventually people will realize the only uses for it are digital drawing and business environments where you have to travel a lot and don't carry much. A lot of paramedics and social workers use tablets.

JDShu
June 4th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Its annoying because all these companies are all focusing on releasing an "ipad killer" instead of producing decent netbooks. As somebody who really wants a cheap ARM netbook, its frustrating.

seanelly
June 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I wish I had a tablet for note taking in class. I hate printing off notes and there's still the odd "babysitting" prof who feels the need to leave blanks in their notes so you have to attend and be attentive. Also, some courses don't have good supplemental texts and I'm too unorganized to keep paper notes in order.

Legendary_Bibo
June 4th, 2010, 03:45 AM
They look cool, but when you get down to it. They're for entertainment mainly. They make academic tasks a hassle due to a lack of keyboard or mouse, if you plug one in, you have the same functionality as a netbook. I need a netbook...

sandyd
June 4th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I have a archos 9.
that thing is a.m.a.z.i.n.g

seanelly
June 4th, 2010, 04:07 AM
They look cool, but when you get down to it. They're for entertainment mainly. They make academic tasks a hassle due to a lack of keyboard or mouse, if you plug one in, you have the same functionality as a netbook. I need a netbook...

Is this not a tablet?
http://www.cheaplaptops.org.uk/wp-content/laptopimg/x41thinkpad2.jpg

Legendary_Bibo
June 4th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Is this not a tablet?
http://www.cheaplaptops.org.uk/wp-content/laptopimg/x41thinkpad2.jpg
I...I...I uh meant tablet like the iPad
Okay so I stand corrected. I still think the iPad is impractical unless you like a fat *** iphone.

Shining Arcanine
June 4th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I can still remember the day I saw the EEEpc for the very first time and I was amazed because of the size and the price. Now I am getting that same feeling again with tablets. With the Ipad leading the way, I am now wondering what would be the best tablet to buy to Linux and do you thank tablets are just another digital fad or something that looks like it is here to stay.
Tablets are a pain to use because they lack keyboards. Imagine trying to browse these forums with one. the only thing they are good for doing are read only activities.

seanelly
June 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I...I...I uh meant tablet like the iPad
Okay so I stand corrected. I still think the iPad is impractical unless you like a fat *** iphone.

I wasn't actually sure of the correct terminology myself, lol. When ever I hear 'ipad' I envision crowds of people walking the sidewalks with these things held against their ear and I crack-up.

Legendary_Bibo
June 4th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I wasn't actually sure of the correct terminology myself, lol. When ever I hear 'ipad' I envision crowds of people walking the sidewalks with these things held against their ear and I crack-up.
haha that actually made me laugh. :lolflag:
Well then people will complain they're too big so Apple will make a smaller version...oh wait.

seanelly
June 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
haha that actually made me laugh. :lolflag:
Well then people will complain they're too big so Apple will make a smaller version...oh wait.

The worst thing is, I used to call my mp3 player an ipad in a similar vain to the xkcd comic below. I would say it stood for my independant portable audio device. It's not quite as funny now that there's actually something called an ipad.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/mispronouncing.png

kamaboko
June 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Anyway you slice it, tablets are fingerprint magnets. For that reason alone I wouldn't consider one. They look like crap after a few minutes.

plurworldinc
June 5th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Now i have found one good use for a tablet that I believe will be a major selling point. Since the newspaper and magazine industry are trying to find new ways to stay in business in todays digital world I can somewhat see buying a tablet as the ultimate e-book reader.

I am still not sure how long they will last, but I can see them being a good add on tool in someones laptop bag as another piece of hardware to use when the moment is right. Being a student myself I thank it would be great to have one as an e-book reader with some major computing power behind it.

But for now , everyone wants the IPAD killer and even IPAD users are saying it is just a very big IPod Touch.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I have an hp tx2. I love it.
I think they will come just like x64 came.
The only thing is, they need better driver support.

Offtopic: I also love xkcd.

kaldor
June 5th, 2010, 04:43 AM
The only tablets I have any liking for are the laptops that can fold into a tablet.. whatever those are called.

But the touch-only ones... just no.

jerenept
June 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I have an hp tx2. I love it.
I think they will come just like x64 came.
The only thing is, they need better driver support.

Offtopic: I also love xkcd.

Everyone loves xkcd.:)

coolbrook
June 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I might take the 'thin and light' sub-notebook approach. Palm OS Graffiti was nice, but I don't know when I'll warm up to touch screens. Battery life and quality multimedia are my greatest concerns.

alexan
June 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Apple is original.. as always:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iki2ohoVyeI

Anyway, netbook are out.. touchscreen are following them (webcam+voice control in)

kerry_s
June 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM
i admit, i want 1, been looking at the 7 inch versions.
i'm not sure about android though, i'm thinking i'd rather have something i can install any "os" on.

Iehova
June 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
A netbook I can understand, but I really can't see the point in an iPad. No keyboard, awkward to hold and use (you can't even put it on a desk without a separate stand), the screen won't be particularly good for ebooks etc. It really doesn't seem to offer.... anything.

McRat
June 6th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I don't see a point in a tablet, I tried the HP tablet/netbook/touch thingy TX1000? It just sits now.

But the majority of the users want:

Entertainment
Web-browsing
Email access

And that's what a tablet can provide. It's not a PC, it's a fun accessory.

They will get a lot more popular. One idea is would be the Pee Chee folder from Hell. All students get a tablet. Their textbooks are stored in it. They can take tests on it, notes on it, get/send homework assignments, and even record the lecture.

It would be a perfect fit.

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Its annoying because all these companies are all focusing on releasing an "ipad killer" instead of producing decent netbooks. As somebody who really wants a cheap ARM netbook, its frustrating.
Even Better: this (http://www.open-pandora.org/)