PDA

View Full Version : Time Lapse Photography using Open Source Tools

madmetal
June 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Hello hello!

I just made my first time lapse video using only open source tools ( gphoto2 - mencoder - pitivi ) and want to share it with the ubuntu community :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYALxEGORu4

I was surprised by the power of gphoto2 and mencoder and got a lot of troubles with pitivi.. but at the end it worked.. although still don't know an easy way to remove black borders and put titles..

:KS:KS

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Cool. I would suggest making the transitions faster and add a audio track with AudioSwap. It would make it a lot more interesting.

dragos240
June 4th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Could you upload an ogg for those who don't use flash. I'm using links2 right now. I Have youtube-dl, but I don't feel like writing down the url.

madmetal
June 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Cool. I would suggest making the transitions faster and add a audio track with AudioSwap. It would make it a lot more interesting.

Thanks. I will try Audioswap before my second attempt..
Any ideas how to put titles with Pitivi?

madmetal
June 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Could you upload an ogg for those who don't use flash. I'm using links2 right now. I Have youtube-dl, but I don't feel like writing down the url.

Got pm with the video :)

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks. I will try Audioswap before my second attempt..
Any ideas how to put titles with Pitivi?

You can use Youtube Captions feature. Is really awesome and allows you to change the captions without re-encoding the video.

madmetal
June 4th, 2010, 11:53 PM
You can use Youtube Captions feature. Is really awesome and allows you to change the captions without re-encoding the video.

Nice , but i want to find a way to do this with open source tools on Ubuntu for off line videos too.. i will give another try with Pitivi

dragos240
June 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Got pm with the video :)

Nice place you got there! Should add some subtle music to it. Try openshot instead of pitivi. More features, and it's still stable.

Austin25
June 5th, 2010, 12:01 AM
could you set the capture-time to be faster, and have more frames per second?
the framerate is a little low.

madmetal
June 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM
could you set the capture-time to be faster, and have more frames per second?
the framerate is a little low.

First part is encoded at 1fps and second at 2fps but that's why i asked for your feedback since it was my first attempt..
Yeap also think it's a bit slow and i have to fix the focus and settings at night captions..

Btw mencoder is so fast at encoding :KS

altonbr
November 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I would also suggest making your exposure, f-stop and ISO manual, because it looks like the camera was auto adjusting the entire time which creates an odd flicker in the sequence.

treesurf
November 28th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Here's my own timelapse work using mencoder and pitivi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W-AHgeLrzg&hd=1

I haven't tried using gphoto yet, and instead used the interval shooting feature that was already included on my old Pentax digital camera. This limits me to a shot every 10 seconds or more, which isn't ideal, and so I've had to encode the video at 18fps so it's not as smooth as it could be. Although, a little smoother than the OP's video. ;)