PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] inotify_add_watch failed

YA0730
June 3rd, 2010, 10:33 PM
On boot - I get the message udevd inotify_add_watch failed no such file or directory for my LVM physical volumes... volumes are mounted and appear to be usable...

Is this normal?

10.04 LTS Server

cmdupre
July 11th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I have the same issue, I think... but the error message specifies /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb1 which are actually physical volumes in my volume group. I think it's because the devices are only lvm partitions and don't actually have a file system. I'm looking around the web for more information but not much luck.

jursra
July 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
After installing 'cryptsetup' the message disappears.

Joe Momma
July 29th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks, I was having the same problem and cryptsetup fixed it for me too.

My problems started when I installed dmraid and setup a raid device. After that the two drives in my raid triggered the inotify_add_watch error, but then bootup continued and I never saw any other issues.

So my questions are:

Does anyone know what the hell the error was trying to tell me?

And what does cryptsetup do? Why did I need to install it? And what have I changed about my system now?

cmdupre
August 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
And what does cryptsetup do?

Check your man page for cryptsetup... or go here: http://linux.die.net/man/8/cryptsetup

I'd like to know the answer to the other questions you have as well.

foxmulder881
November 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks a million jursra. I was getting udev-work[79] and inotify_add_watch errors at boot on Maverick 10.10. So I just installed the cryptsetup package and it fixed all my boot errors also.

paolo.denti
December 28th, 2010, 11:21 AM
thanks, cryptsetup fixed errors on logical volumes.