PDA

View Full Version : What to learn first?

JDShu
June 3rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have recently put myself through a crash course in CSS, PHP, and MySQL. My inclination is that the next thing I should learn is a framework (I'm thinking of learning CodeIgniter) but my job is going to need me to learn Drupal soon. So what should I do? Learn CodeIgniter first, or Drupal first? And is it advisable to learn both a CMS and a framework, or to just focus on one thing?

km0r3
June 4th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have recently put myself through a crash course in CSS, PHP, and MySQL. My inclination is that the next thing I should learn is a framework (I'm thinking of learning CodeIgniter) but my job is going to need me to learn Drupal soon. So what should I do? Learn CodeIgniter first, or Drupal first? And is it advisable to learn both a CMS and a framework, or to just focus on one thing?
I think you're confusing something. CodeIgniter is a PHP framework and Drupal a Content Management System written in PHP.

Well, it's definitely not bad to start with CodeIgniter.

CodeIgniter provides a lot of reusable code, but it also allows you to write PHP applications quite fast from scratch.