PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Boot screen and Ubuntu stretches beyond monitor

prashk
June 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hello,

I have an old P4 desktop with dual boot - XP and Kubuntu. I had some problems with my monitor (Viewsonic E70 - heard that anyone!?) - had strange resolutions and monitor getting switched off for no reason. Now, the monitor is repaired and all set but having a strange problem.

The resolution seems low and the whole screen is stretched beyond the monitor during boot (Grub 2 menu, even XP boot screen, Kubuntu boot screen) and also in Kubuntu after logging on. However XP looks fine, I just removed the display card driver and allowed it to reboot. Then I could adjust the resolution to 1024x768 and it is working fine ever since.

I suspected the same problem with Kubuntu and ended up doing a fresh install of Lucid, but that has not helped. If I adjust the resolution inside Kubuntu the resolution does change, but the display again does not get "adjusted" to monitor. How should I go about resolving this problem? More than the boot screen, I would love to see Kubuntu back in action on this desktop. Please help!

Thanks..