PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] All GNOME panels broken, every time

johann_p
June 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a PC for one of my kids and everytime one logs in, the panels (both top and bottom) do not show any icons, and about one fourth of the rightmost part of the panel is completely missing.
This happens even when one completely removes the panel dir under .gconf and starts from scratch.

Everytime the panel is somehow changed (e.g. by changing its size) it magically appears in its full glory. Killing the panel processes makes them also reappear correctly.

Although there is the workaround of killing or changing the size every time after log in, this is rather annoying.

Any advice how that could be solved?

wojox
June 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Try these two commands

gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

stubrn
June 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM
you can also replace gnome-panel with another one like avant-window-navigator for example which i use and completely disable gnome-panel. the only problem is that it doesn't restarted automatically if killed or crash but i'm really not a gnome-panel fan so..

you can use gconf-editor or run this command in terminal:

gconftool-2 --type string --set \
/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/panel \
"avant-window-navigator"

johann_p
June 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Try these two commands

gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

This did not help. It reset the panel to the default and seems to do exactly the same as when I removed .gconf/apps/panel
However, the default panel shows exactly the same problem - the right part is missing and no icons are shown :(