PDA

View Full Version : IBM joins chipmakers to boost Linux platform

Sporkman
June 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
IBM joins chipmakers to boost Linux platform

By Maija Palmer, technology correspondent
Published: June 3 2010 13:04 | Last updated: June 3 2010 13:04

IBM has joined forces with chip companies Arm, Freescale, Samsung, ST-Ericsson and Texas Instruments, to create a company that will accelerate the development of Linux software for devices such as mobile phones, tablet computers and digital televisions.

The move is a challenge to Intel and Microsoft, which are looking to move beyond their dominance of the personal computing market to take a large share of the mobile phone and hybrid device market...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/96181994-6efe-11df-a2f7-00144feabdc0.html

ssj6akshat
June 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Here is Mark's opinion on Linaro

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/427

handy
June 4th, 2010, 01:18 AM
It is excellent news. They are an extremely powerful group of corporations who can make a sustained investment in R&D. Being so open about it has to benefit many, & help them somewhat in return.

tom66
June 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Won't matter to the average desktop Linux user. It's designed for mobile phones, tablet computers and digital televisions, places where Linux already has a fair share and Intel + Microsoft are in the small numbers. Tablet computers are the only place I can really see Intel + Microsoft competing. But Intel processors are power hogs so can't really compete on mobile devices. Windows Phone isn't a serious platform any more.

ARM support is great though. The more applications for ARM the better. Since most stuff on Linux is open source (on my PC everything except Flash) that means ARM is a viable platform. But I doubt you'll see it in desktop computers anytime, because of the Microsoft/x86 monopoly.

ssj6akshat
June 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Won't matter to the average desktop Linux user. It's designed for mobile phones, tablet computers and digital televisions, places where Linux already has a fair share and Intel + Microsoft are in the small numbers. Tablet computers are the only place I can really see Intel + Microsoft competing. But Intel processors are power hogs so can't really compete on mobile devices. Windows Phone isn't a serious platform any more.

ARM support is great though. The more applications for ARM the better. Since most stuff on Linux is open source (on my PC everything except Flash) that means ARM is a viable platform. But I doubt you'll see it in desktop computers anytime, because of the Microsoft/x86 monopoly.

Nope.I am a fan of those fanless ARM netbooks.Silent,Cool and Powerful.I think cheap fanless computing will be a huge hit with the average consumer.

Linuxforall
June 5th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Good news indeed, just the filip Linux needs at this juncture.

Xianath
June 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM
This is exactly the type of love and care FOSS needs. Big, rich, innovative companies rallying up behind it with a solid business vision (yes, they want to make money out of this project) that is built on top of FOSS openness. It has worked great for other projects (Apache, PHP, MySQL, portions of the Linux kernel itself), let's hope it works great now too.

jerenept
June 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Exactly like the Apache project. I hope that IBM will be a big brother like in those days.

toupeiro
June 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
This is great news! I can't wait to see what kind of cool devices come out in the next few years due to this.

Ric_NYC
June 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Good news.

phrostbyte
June 5th, 2010, 04:42 PM
2010 is the year of the Linux mobile? :)