PDA

View Full Version : Tried old way - I'll stick with the "new"

anewguy
June 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
I wanted to experiment some more again, so I downloaded Slackware. I haven't touched Slackware since 1995. I used to be a systems programmer on main frames, minis and micros, but have been out of the business since 1996. So I'm thinking - install Slackware again, have some fun again. Well, you can tell old age has set it - I just don't have the heart for all the messing around anymore. I'll stick with Ubuntu unless something strikes me as something to try instead.

Dave ;)

cariboo
June 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
This isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

Sporkman
June 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Think of it as "value-added" instead of "new".

Canonical put a lot of work into making things run right & easy to use, so why not advantage of that free labor?

forrestcupp
June 3rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
In before "try Arch"

RiceMonster
June 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
try Arch

Sporkman
June 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
In after "try Arch"

BrokenKingpin
June 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
I really don't see what Slackware has to offer these days. I am not saying it has nothing to offer, I just don't see it lol.

Sporkman
June 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
I really don't see what Slackware has to offer these days. I am not saying it has nothing to offer, I just don't see it lol.

It appears to be the base system of a bunch of distros - sort of like Debian or Red Hat:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=Slackware&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

BrokenKingpin
June 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
It appears to be the base system of a bunch of distros - sort of like Debian or Red Hat:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=Slackware&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active
In that sense I can see what it offers. That being said, Debian is the base of a lot of systems, but still relatively easy to use in it's own right.

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
In before "try Arch"

try Arch

In after "try Arch"

Amazing! :lol:

yamfox
June 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Gentoo ftw!!!

anewguy
June 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Gee, if I didn't know better, I'd say people want me to "try Arch!" ;)

I'll probably download it this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks, everyone!

Dave ;)

user1397
June 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Gee, if I didn't know better, I'd say people want me to "try Arch!" ;)

I'll probably download it this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks, everyone!

Dave ;)
if you didn't like slackware, you definitely won't like arch

llawwehttam
June 5th, 2010, 10:23 PM
if you didn't like slackware, you definitely won't like arch

not so sure. Arch has pacman which makes it very easy to set up a system and get it running.

Slackware is closer to BSD Unix lol.