PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed Upgrade to 10.04

Kevpilot
June 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Greetings all-

My neighbor suffered a failed upgrade going from 9.10 to 10.04 on his HP laptop. I can't get a clear story but it sounds like everything downloaded properly but the failure occurred during installation. It got to about 95% completion and it stopped. He rebooted and now the laptop fails (command line) with a GRUB error.

Is there any way to re-start the installation of the OS from the bootable 10.04 disk I made? He wants to preserve the apps and especially the data on his drive. I was able to boot up from the Lucid CD and even find a file by name he had created on the hard drive. (That fact kind of worried me, but that's another issue.)

Many thanks

Kev

dino99
June 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
follow this example

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263030&page=2

Kevpilot
June 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Many thanks for your super fast reply! I, too, am new to Linux though I am an old DOS hand.

Just to verify that I have, in fact, asked the right question: How do I restart a failed upgrade from 9.10 => 10.04 using the LiveCD disk for 10.04?

Here's the sequence of events:

My neighbor (John)'s laptop crashed while running the upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.
The upgrade appears to have downloaded properly
The installation failed at about 95% (so says John, I was not there as he executed.)
When the installation failed, he rebooted the laptop.
Now, it POSTs fine and begins the OS load.
The error message is: 0.693343 Kernel Panic - Not Syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on unknown (block 0,0)
Rebooting to generic mode-
Ubuntu presents a table with many Linux choices both with and without (Recovery)
None of those choices work with the failure AppArmor failed to load.
Then it gets to recovery menu.
No joy.
Error message: Cannot open file / boot / grub / grubenv (return)
Next Message: Clock Source TSC unstable (Delta=-68758257NS)

I found this very frustrating. Next up.

I made an 10.04 ISO disk with the bootable LiveCD.
When we boot up in LiveCD mode, I can even get to the hard drive's file system
Using the search tool, I was able to find at least one data file by name.
So the data still exists.

My big question: Can I preserve the data and apps already installed AND restart the update process from my 10.04 CD?

So MANY MANY thanks!

Kev