PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army in Canada thinks they need new computers.

RaisingSails
June 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I think they just need a better operating system. I am a little close to this, and I know they think they need better computers, a very expensive upgrade given they are a huge non-profit.

I'm not sure but I think they use Lotus software and MS.

kaldor
June 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Nothing against using Windows/MS Office, but when people over time think that's the ONLY choice and end up wasting time and resources when they could have just fixed something is beyond me.

Local example..

Optical clinic here has old version of Linux (they use a prehistoric version of Mozilla, and Gnome version 1.x) and the workers say it sucks and is very non-userfriendly. So, instead of upgrading Linux, they are getting brand new computers with Windows 7 because "Linux doesn't work". That means they are also going to retrain their staff and get new Windows software. The reason I know about this was because I mentioned it to one of the workers.

It's kinda like people who say "it's too slow, I'm getting a new computer!" when they have an awesome computer but just don't defrag/scan for viruses, etc.

Frogs Hair
June 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Nothing against using Windows/MS Office, but when people over time think that's the ONLY choice and end up wasting time and resources when they could have just fixed something is beyond me.

Local example..

Optical clinic here has old version of Linux (they use a prehistoric version of Mozilla, and Gnome version 1.x) and the workers say it sucks and is very non-userfriendly. So, instead of upgrading Linux, they are getting brand new computers with Windows 7 because "Linux doesn't work". That means they are also going to retrain their staff and get new Windows software. The reason I know about this was because I mentioned it to one of the workers.

It's kinda like people who say "it's too slow, I'm getting a new computer!" when they have an awesome computer but just don't defrag/scan for viruses, etc.

A good example of this is the computers in the cafe at my school . They have 2.4 ghz CPU'S but they are so poorly maintained they lock up when changing a web page . A little TLC goes a long way all they need is defrag , disk cleanup , and removal of broken short cuts.

LowSky
June 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
I think they just need a better operating system. I am a little close to this, and I know they think they need better computers, a very expensive upgrade given they are a huge non-profit.

I'm all for recycling old hardware but when it comes to running organizations its better to just get new computers and give the old ones away to charity.
The only recycling that should be done is in the server room where the normal users are usually not effected. You can also give machines from employees who left to new employees but you need to keep a life cycle so that people don't accidentally get left behind.

pricetech
June 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
A little TLC goes a long way

No kidding. Try convincing some people of that though. I've been proactive at my current job since day one and I've come very close to working myself out of a job because of it.

I did that when I was self employed, literally. Customers don't need you again and again when you fixed it right the first time.

keiichidono
June 4th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Then nudge them to use Ubuntu. Either that or let them upgrade to Windows 7.

Local example..

Windows 7 is a fine OS, though technically it may be a waste of money I believe Linux serves better in the server room than on the desktop.

wilee-nilee
June 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Hows about a link.

Shining Arcanine
June 4th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm all for recycling old hardware but when it comes to running organizations its better to just get new computers and give the old ones away to charity.
The only recycling that should be done is in the server room where the normal users are usually not effected. You can also give machines from employees who left to new employees but you need to keep a life cycle so that people don't accidentally get left behind.

I thought we were talking about a charity...

seanelly
June 4th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Exactly, I'm sure there's a religious non-profit group who helps the impoverished who could use the old computers.

earthpigg
June 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM
exactly, i'm sure there's a religious non-profit group who helps the impoverished who could use the old computers.

lol

BoneKracker
June 4th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Exactly, I'm sure there's a religious non-profit group who helps the impoverished who could use the old computers.
#-o

wilee-nilee
June 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I find no information on the web about this subject. I think it is fud without a link at the least. Here is the latest news from them.
http://use.salvationarmy.org/use/www_use.nsf/fm-news-all?openform&start=1&count=10

How many of you really know the full amount of services provided by the Salvation Army for example they have drug and alcohol rehab programs that are free to the public, but there is along waiting list.
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Free_Drug_And_Alcohol_Rehab_At_The_Salvation_Army. html

Arguing over a unproved action by them is ridiculous, at the least, and trying to argue even if true their charity status against new computers is even more ridiculous.

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Link please.

Excedio
June 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hows about a link.

Link please.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking this..