PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dvd video player software for linux

w8nsi
June 3rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
I notice that there are multiple dvd player software packages for windoze, but am not seeing anything for linux in general and Ubuntu in particular. Is this a fair assessment of the situation?

I would really love to be able to play some of my dvds on my Ubuntu computer but will install windoze on a partition if I have to just for the purpose. I saw another thread about someone trying to get a twitchy program to use a 32 or 64 bit library or something...

How about it? Have I missed something?

73 de w8nsi jim

doorknob60
June 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
VLC, Mplayer, Totem (built in), many many DVD players. You will need to get the right codecs though, if you try to play a DVD it should ask you to install it, then it should work. There's also some commercial (and possibly more legal) options like Fluendo: http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/

73ckn797
June 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
Read and follow the directions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

gauthamnagpur18
June 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
check this link for ubuntu 10.04

http://bit.ly/9GaGC4

jadedcritic
September 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Doing some research, apparently the 10.10 software center is adding the fluendo DVD player. Honestly, this is a little bit of an important issue for me, I'm something of a movie geek, and there are limits to the patience with which I'm willing to troubleshoot add/install packages and the like. I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the cash though, so I'm just checking around to see if I can find out if anyone's tried the software and is willing to share their impressions? Worthwhile? Not worthwhile?

3rdalbum
September 5th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Doing some research, apparently the 10.10 software center is adding the fluendo DVD player. Honestly, this is a little bit of an important issue for me, I'm something of a movie geek, and there are limits to the patience with which I'm willing to troubleshoot add/install packages and the like. I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the cash though, so I'm just checking around to see if I can find out if anyone's tried the software and is willing to share their impressions? Worthwhile? Not worthwhile?

The package does work, from a review I read of it a while back. But it's not worth it really.

Install VLC, add the Medibuntu repository (www.medibuntu.org) and install the "libdvdcss2" package from there. Congratulations, you now have free DVD playback support.

perspectoff
September 5th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I notice that there are multiple dvd player software packages for windoze, but am not seeing anything for linux in general and Ubuntu in particular. Is this a fair assessment of the situation?

I would really love to be able to play some of my dvds on my Ubuntu computer but will install windoze on a partition if I have to just for the purpose. I saw another thread about someone trying to get a twitchy program to use a 32 or 64 bit library or something...

How about it? Have I missed something?

73 de w8nsi jim

There are many. The best two are VLC and Mplayer.

There is a good list at ubuntuguide.org and kubuntuguide.org.

jadedcritic
September 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Install VLC, add the Medibuntu repository (www.medibuntu.org) and install the "libdvdcss2" package from there. Congratulations, you now have free DVD playback support.

Done. I've already found a couple DVDs in my collection it couldn't get past the encryption, but they're relatively new, I just bought them last week, and I don't have to have capacity to watch EVERYTHING on PC. I just don't want to have NO access to a 200+ DVD collection.