PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Convert OGV to FLV

zone z5
June 3rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
I need to know how exactly to use FFmpeg to convert OGV to FLV.

EDIT: I don't understand a bit of coding.

FakeOutdoorsman
June 3rd, 2010, 04:56 PM
I need to know how exactly to use FFmpeg to convert OGV to FLV.

EDIT: I don't understand a bit of coding.

I'll assume you're using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04.

1. Open a terminal. You can find this at Applications > Accessories > Terminal.

2. Install FFmpeg. In terminal, type the following (note that each line is a new command):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec-extra-52
The libavcodec-extra-52 package is required to enable encoders (such as libmp3lame and libx264) that are not enabled in the default FFmpeg package. For more details, see: HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoding in FFmpeg (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1117283).

3. My .ogv is named input.ogv and is in /home/vidiot/videos. I'll navigate there. Terminal will open in the home directory, so I only need to type:

cd videos

4. Now for the FFmpeg command. FLV is a container format that can handle several audio and video formats. This example will use MP3 audio and H.264 video:

ffmpeg -i input.ogv -acodec libmp3lame -aq 4 -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -crf 26 -wpredp 0 -threads 0 output.flv
This will create output.flv. The -wpredp 0 option is required to avoid a bug in Adobe Flash Player if you wanted to use this video in a Flash web player. For more info on the other options, see the FFmpeg x264 encoding guide (http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ffmpeg-x264-encoding-guide/).

zone z5
June 4th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Thank you, FakeOutdoorsman. Your help is much appreciated.

lisati
June 4th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I don't understand a bit of coding.
Don't sweat it: you don't need to know a lot of coding (i.e. programming) to use the command line/terminal. You might want to think of it as just another way of using programs, that uses the keyboard instead of the mouse.

All the best with your adventures.

Edit: by the way, if memory serves correctly, on Kubuntu, the terminal is sometimes referred to as "Konsole".