PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No of Desks

Robbyx
June 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
In the compiz settings: General options-- desktop size I have everything set to 1: Horizontal, vertical and number of desktops.

In the panel I can see 2 desks, and I can switch between two desks.

Does anyone know how to reduce the number of desks to 1?

mac9416
June 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Hi, Robbyx,

If I recall correctly, you can right-click the desktop switcher applet and change the preferences. There should be a way to set it to one desktop in there.

hictio
June 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
Indeed, like mac9416 says. Right click on the Workspace Switcher Applet, and set it to 1 column and 1 row as well as the one on the Compiz Configuration utility.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1803/screenshotj.jpg

Robbyx
June 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
I am not seeing exactly the same preferences for the switcher in Lucid. It only refers to showing the workspaces, not the number of them.

I could live with multiple workplaces if I could control them better. Programs seem to open in different workplaces and I have to drag them to other spaces so they can be used together. This particularly happens with programs that open up new windows such as skype. The new windows do not tend to have a standard name so even if I specify that skype should open in desk2, its daughter windows may open in desk1. I have tried to set rule openings in CompizConfig settings manager's windows rules using the sticky setting. It does not work if I can specify a window name. I wonder if sticky has taken the settings in correctly. It shows (name=) & name= as the rule which does not strike me as doing anything. Perhaps that is why sticky does not seem to work.

I find the desks act inconsistently and I wonder if there is a default setting for all new windows.

Robbyx
June 4th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Please, can I have a reply, particularly to the idea of default desks.