View Full Version : [SOLVED] Vido cards compatible with Ubuntu...

June 2nd, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hello, I'm in the process of putting together a new system and would like to know which video would be most likely to be compatible with Ubuntu. Would I be safe with any card with the Nvidia chipset? Is Nvidia the safest route to go to "guarantee" it will work with Linux/Ubuntu?

June 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Yes, Nvidia has very good drivers for Linux, and anything with an Nvidia chipset should work just fine. ATI also has decent (and improving) drivers, but it's hard to guarantee they will work, since they don't always work as well. I recommend Nvidia.

June 3rd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Yes - go with nVidia. They work well with Ubuntu. So far I've tested a 9800GT with Lucid, Karmic, Jaunty, Intrepid and Gutsy flavors of Ubuntu - they all worked. You have an added benefit of painless 3D acceleration if you are into 3D games. Also, the 9800GT does not cost an arm and a leg :)

PS: My ATI HD 4670 card refused to work with any Ubuntu in 3D accelerated mode no matter what I try.

June 19th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I ended up using a GeForce 9500 GT, and it worked great out of the box (without installing any additional Nvidia drivers).