PDA

View Full Version : So I just got an iTouch

Yes
June 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Does it sync at all in Linux? Does anyone else have one and know anything interesting about it?

mysteriousdarren
June 2nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
Rhythmbox, Songbird, and many other basic media players work, but it would not be used to sync automatically. Wine can be used with Itunes, but I have had alot of trouble with it.

Islington
June 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
actually itouch's can sync music just fine in ubuntu now: http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

doorknob60
June 3rd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Yes, I put music on it all the time with Gtkpod and it works just fine. Videos gave me fits once, but I think that was ffmpeg's fault (or whatever program I used to convert the video), since it transferred fine, but was an "invalid format". Haven't touched iTunes in quite some time.

Yes
June 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Yes, I put music on it all the time with Gtkpod and it works just fine. Videos gave me fits once, but I think that was ffmpeg's fault (or whatever program I used to convert the video), since it transferred fine, but was an "invalid format". Haven't touched iTunes in quite some time.

Lol what's up doorknob?

Any opinions on jailbreaking? There's a Rockbox app that runs kind of a virtual session of Rockbox, has anyone tried that? I think it'd be good for something like Doom, which you can play through Rockbox.

doorknob60
June 3rd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Lol what's up doorknob?

Any opinions on jailbreaking? There's a Rockbox app that runs kind of a virtual session of Rockbox, has anyone tried that? I think it'd be good for something like Doom, which you can play through Rockbox.

I haven't tried or heard about that (I love Rockbox though, used it on my Sansa), but I'm happy without it. I'm sure you can get Doom on it natively though, especially Jailbroken (which I personally highly recommend). I wouldn't have gotten mine if I couldn't have Jailbroken it TBH :P

Yes
June 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Are the advantages to jailbreaking just third party apps?

And do you use Safari, or something else? Doesn't Firefox have a beta version of their mobile browser now?

Ocxic
June 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
THERE IS NOT SUCH THING AS AN iTouch.

IT IS AN IPOD TOUCH.

days_of_ruin
June 3rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
there is not such thing as an itouch.

It is an ipod touch.

=d>

mysteriousdarren
June 3rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
+1 GTKpod

UnknownFear
June 3rd, 2010, 03:18 AM
Are the advantages to jailbreaking just third party apps?
You can also download themes for it, sounds, icons, etc. and also paid apps in the app store for free.

And do you use Safari, or something else? Doesn't Firefox have a beta version of their mobile browser now?
Mozilla won't be developing a full fledged mobile browser for the iPod Touch/iPhone due to Apple's OS. You can download other browsers, but Safari is the default browser on it.

Stancel
June 3rd, 2010, 03:53 AM

IT IS AN IPOD TOUCH.

It's the iPhone-without-the-Phone.

Yes
June 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Ah sorry for calling it an iTouch.

Do you need to do anything special to get gtkpod to work with the iPod Touch? When I click "load iPod" nothing happens, and the gtkpod website says that the Touch needs to be jailbroken to work with it.

e: I just tried using gtkpod-git and when I click "load iPods" nothing happens still.

init1
June 7th, 2010, 02:18 AM
actually itouch's can sync music just fine in ubuntu now: http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
If by "just fine" you mean "it can delete files, but won't actually update the database", then yes, it works just fine.

dragos240
June 7th, 2010, 02:33 AM

IT IS AN IPOD TOUCH.

THANK YOU FOR TYPlNG lN ALL CAPS! ALSO I WAS HOPING SOMEONE POSTED THAT!

SilverDragon
June 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM
If by "just fine" you mean "it can delete files, but won't actually update the database", then yes, it works just fine.

Well if it can't do that I'm guessing getting apps on there doesn't work very well without iTunes?

Yes
June 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Agh so you can't do it without iTunes? That's really annoying, I'll have to copy my music over to another computer now.

e: I've just been downloading my apps from the wifi in my house, no need for iTunes there (although I use my iTunes account, so I guess you would have to have it installed somewhere).

SilverDragon
June 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I figured you would need iTunes somewhere. This makes me not want to get an iPod Touch because the apps are at least half the reason I would get it. (I'm waiting on an iPod refresh anyway) If I didn't care about the apps I'd probably go with something else.

I'm not sure if the OP just meant syncing music but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone could sync their apps.

Dr. C
June 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
iPods, iPhones and iPads are as a rule a poor choice as far as working with GNU / Linux. There are workarounds that work in some cases, for example jail breaking, but Apple is actively working to block these both legally and technologically.

If one obtains it from a store that offers a full refund and one is within the refund once can return it for a full refund.

an0dos
June 7th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I figured you would need iTunes somewhere. This makes me not want to get an iPod Touch because the apps are at least half the reason I would get it. (I'm waiting on an iPod refresh anyway) If I didn't care about the apps I'd probably go with something else.

I'm not sure if the OP just meant syncing music but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone could sync their apps.

Syncing apps doesn't work for the itouch. These things only apply to music. You can download apps directly to your itouch through a wifi connection. The only problem is that you don't have backups of them stored on your computer. Eventually I may try to replace the iphone OS with android (my itouch is a 1st gen). I think overall it may be a better idea for people who are interested in linux compatibility to wait until a comparable android device comes out.

Islington
June 7th, 2010, 05:23 AM

never does that for me, and I have been using it since it was called iFuse. :popcorn:

KingYaba
June 7th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Have you seen the new data plans from AT&T? They are absolutely abysmal.

an0dos
June 7th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Have you seen the new data plans from AT&T? They are absolutely abysmal.

As a matter of principle I think it's bad that they entirely did away with unlimited data plans. In my particular situation I am happy with it because my wife has an iphone that she doesn't really use on the internet. It means that I will end up paying less every month. Since we don't use very much of our data plan it is good for us. ATT is also my ISP which means that I have free internet access wherever there is an ATT hotspot (ie Starbucks). We don't travel often and so it is beneficial in our circumstances.

Gosh, I just read what I wrote. It is repetitively redundant, but I'm too lazy to change it.

SilverDragon
June 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Syncing apps doesn't work for the itouch. These things only apply to music. You can download apps directly to your itouch through a wifi connection. The only problem is that you don't have backups of them stored on your computer. Eventually I may try to replace the iphone OS with android (my itouch is a 1st gen). I think overall it may be a better idea for people who are interested in linux compatibility to wait until a comparable android device comes out.

Oh that's how that works! Sorry about that. Everyone I've seen with an iPod Touch/iPhone finds their apps in iTunes.

Are there any rumors of a comparable android devices coming out any time soon?

Yes
June 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I think I've got file transfer working in Linux! The trick is using ifuse to mount the iPod before starting gtkpod. Full guide: http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-and-your-iphone-ipod-touch .

BandD
June 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM

IT IS AN IPOD TOUCH.

+1000

This is probably my biggest pet peeve in electronic semantics. Every time I hear someone say "itouch" I can't help but think of what they are touching...it kinda grosses me out.

Jesus_Valdez
June 8th, 2010, 04:00 AM
While we are at it, any good guide on how to do the jailbreak thing?

init1
June 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Well if it can't do that I'm guessing getting apps on there doesn't work very well without iTunes?

Agh so you can't do it without iTunes? That's really annoying, I'll have to copy my music over to another computer now.

e: I've just been downloading my apps from the wifi in my house, no need for iTunes there (although I use my iTunes account, so I guess you would have to have it installed somewhere).
I've heard there's a way, but I haven't even been able to music sync to work yet.

never does that for me, and I have been using it since it was called iFuse. :popcorn:
That's what I keep hearing. I have noticed a trend though: most of the people having problems with the sync (including myself) upgraded to Lucid rather than a full install

While we are at it, any good guide on how to do the jailbreak thing?
There are plenty, but here's the easiest way (assuming you're running 3.x.x):
1. Plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad (any generation, as long as it's 3.x.x. Also, you shouldn't do this if your device is already jailbroken. Restore first if it is)
2. Run Spirit
3. Click "Jailbreak"
It's really that simple. It should start within a few seconds.
http://www.spiritjb.com/

Jesus_Valdez
June 8th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Well, that was easy.

Thanks.

Yes
June 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
So I got all my music onto the thing, and in Linux :)

Does anyone know how I can automate adding album art to all my songs in Linux (i.e., without iTunes)?

Actually I do have access to a computer with iTunes, I know it can find the album art for my songs, is there a way to then add the album art without replacing the songs on the iPod with the iTunes library?