PDA

View Full Version : Ipod replacement

primetime34
June 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Just wondering what a good ipod replacement would be? I'd like something that will play ogg vorbis, has a nice interface, and can hold my 70 gig music library. I'd prefer a linux based player, but will look at anything. Any suggestions??

Dustin2128
June 3rd, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hrm, well I use the sansa fuze. It plays ogg files but it has nowhere near 70 gigs of storage. However it actually is sold as 'linux compatible' on the box and has an SDHC card slot. To my knowledge 64 Gb sd cards do exist and with a price tag of 60$, the fuze will leave you with enough money to buy one. Also you could put rockbox on your ipod and that'll allow you to play all kinds of files including ogg's. Hope I've been helpful. Also how many songs could you possibly have to occupy 70 gb of memory in an ogg format?! over a thousand?

mamamia88
June 3rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
geeze 70gb that's a lot of music. and i doubt a 64gb card would work in the fuze. i have a fuze does it really play ogg without rockbox?

Dustin2128
June 3rd, 2010, 05:32 AM
geeze 70gb that's a lot of music. and i doubt a 64gb card would work in the fuze. i have a fuze does it really play ogg without rockbox?
bought mine the other day and it did say that it was ogg compatible on the packaging, verified it myself. As for the 64 gb card, meh it might work but you could definitley buy a couple 16 or 32 cards and swap 'em around, like those old digital cameras before SD cards got as big as they are now.. but I stand by my :[====] for his 70gb music library.. mine's only 3.... and ogg files are significantly smaller than mp3's.... :[=====]

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM
No reason to have that much music on a portable player.

Also, Cowon.

BoneKracker
June 3rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Must be a D.J. who wants to travel light.

Cowon makes some nice ones and used to make an 80 GB (don't know if they still do).

Btw, I think you can do it on your iPod if you run Rockbox or iPod Linux.

Spr0k3t
June 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
I have quite a few Sansa players and they have never been a problem for me. The only down side is the size limitation. For a player with tons of features, the Cowon S9 is the sexiest beast in the business. Seriously, it makes even the ipod touch look old-hat. Considering the S9 came out in 08 to boot. Most of the iriver players support ogg as well, but lack in the storage size.

To get a player with ogg support, look through the supported hardware list at Rockbox.org. Rockbox is a fantastic operating system replacement that makes using an apple product much less annoying.

BoneKracker
June 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
The Cowon that was 80 GB was called the A3. Apparently they don't make it anymore. If you really need all that storage, maybe you can find one on Ebay or something.

Spike-X
June 4th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Also how many songs could you possibly have to occupy 70 gb of memory in an ogg format?! over a thousand?

A thousand songs? Inconceivable!!

Sez U!

BoneKracker
June 4th, 2010, 04:51 AM
A thousand songs? Inconceivable!!

Yes, Inconceivable!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-b7RmmMJeo) :P

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Sez U!

Yes.

primetime34
June 4th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I have well over 20,000 audio files (I have lots of music, audio books, lectures, etc). While I don't NEED all of them with me all the time, I really don't want to have to plan out in advance what I might listen to...I just want it all there. I have a 160 ipod right now but I'm just preparing for the future. A few good suggestions so far...hope they just keep coming. :D

llua+
June 4th, 2010, 06:22 AM
android (http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/multimedia/droid-mpd-client_gkgy.html) + mpd (http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki)

magmon
June 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
After finding this thread, I dug out my sansa e250 and put rockbox on it. Holy hell. I highly reccomend it. It's a whole lot better than the default OS.

Johnsie
June 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I have a mobile phone with spotify on it. That gives me access to millions songs on the go. The downside is that I pay £10 a month for my spotify subscription. But I can call up almost any song/album at any time.

Excedio
June 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Why not?

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Why not?

How long would it take you to listen to 70GB's of music? My point is that you can easily get away with a much smaller HDD or flash based player for less money yet still retain all the features other than storage. I have over 100GB's of music (mostly all FLAC rips from my own CD collection) but my Cowon D2 (16GB) is plenty big.

frankbooth
June 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
How long would it take you to listen to 70GB's of music? My point is that you can easily get away with a much smaller HDD or flash based player for less money yet still retain all the features other than storage. I have over 100GB's of music (mostly all FLAC rips from my own CD collection) but my Cowon D2 (16GB) is plenty big.

Maybe he wants to carry ALL his song with him, what's wrong with that?
I use a iPod Nano myself, mostly because of the size. But if size wouldn't have mattered for me I'd go for storage. It sucks when you get a song stuck in your head and then realize you don't have it with you.

Excedio
June 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
How long would it take you to listen to 70GB's of music?*snip*

Quite a while, however...this...

*snip* It sucks when you get a song stuck in your head and then realize you don't have it with you.

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Maybe he wants to carry ALL his song with him, what's wrong with that?
I use a iPod Nano myself, mostly because of the size. But if size wouldn't have mattered for me I'd go for storage. It sucks when you get a song stuck in your head and then realize you don't have it with you.

So what you're saying is that he'll never acquire more than 70GB's of music and if he does he has to upgrade his DAP because he can't fit it all within 70GB's? Where's the logic in getting something big enough for what you have now?

samh785
June 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM
So what you're saying is that he'll never acquire more than 70GB's of music and if he does he has to upgrade his DAP because he can't fit it all within 70GB's? Where's the logic in getting something big enough for what you have now?
Maybe he foresees it growing to be that large in the future? In any case, personal judgments on how big a music player should be are of no help in this discussion. I use the 32 GB Cowon S9 and it works like a charm.