PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to use search in Document Viewer or advise another one

const451
June 2nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
I have a large (349 pages) pdf document that I want to search for a specific words. It is either I cannot figure out where advanced search settings are or they do not exist all together. So when I perform - it is actually - find command it searches only current page not the whole document. I'd also like to set the option to ignore or not ignore capital letters.

Could someone help with it, please. THX!

houseworkshy
June 2nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I've just tested Document viewer on this system and it did search the whole document. I kept clicking "next" after searching for a common word, "the" was the one used. It jumped to each instance then when it got to the last "the" on a page it moved on to the next page. It stated how many it had found for which ever page it happed to be on, this count changed as the search moved from one page to the next. I then copied a less common word from the end of the document, went back to the begining and searched again. It found it immediately. If it doesn't do it on yours then you may need to reinstall it.

const451
June 3rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, it works on mine in the same way - it will not tell me how many occurrences of a word in the whole document unless I'd keep clicking till the end of the document. Not to Ignore capitalization and search part of the word settings do not exist here at my understanding.

Could someone recommend another pdf viewer?

const451
June 3rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
I'll google for another viewer, the default evince is not nearly satisfactory for searching.

const451
June 3rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
I have installed Adobe Reader. THX.

rokowan
December 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
@const451 just hit "next" when searching.

I had the same problem today and figure it out that clicking "next" will search the term in the next pages... evince will show how many coincidences of the term are in the page you are at. That's all.

Is not clear and I were confused too ;)

I hope this help you come back to Evince :-)