PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 dosemu can't use parallel port

wkulecz
June 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
I've been running an old DOS app that reads and writes the parallel port bits to do a control task. Its worked great running on Ubuntu 6.06 but I can't get the version on 10.04 to read and write the actual hardware.

I can't find what is missing from the configuration, as I recall all I did on 6.06 was edit /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf to uncomment the line:

$_ports = $_ports, " device /dev/lp0 range 0x378 0x37a"

in the "Direct Hardware access" section and start the xdosemu session as root. The process runs in the background and has "just worked" for years.

This has got me stuck as the last step of migrating from 6.06 to 10.04 -- everything except this, postfix, samba, etc. couldn't have been easier, but I'm stuck now

Yes the new motherboard parallel port is set for 0x378 and it shows in /proc/ioports. I guess it could be defective, but the software reads back the values it writes and thinks its working, its just none of the outputs change and changes on the inputs are not read so the code is stuck waiting for the initial response to its first output.

Anyone know what has changed in 10.04 that is preventing dosemu from twiddling actual bits?

--wally.

wkulecz
June 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Figured it out.

Launching dosemu as root is strangely not enough to get raw port access after enabling it in dosemu.conf. Have to launch dosemu -s, then it work.

This was not required in 6.06.