PDA

View Full Version : Getting linux right

irish rebel
March 25th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Guys linux needs to get things right in order to take the desktop market and of all the distros that I see out there Ubuntu has it almost there.I read a post and followups on the linspire click and run for ubuntu I think this would be great I think linspire needs to get out of the distro type thing and concentrate on software applications like a fully integrated multimedia suite such as ilife for osx .Keven carmody has answered my post over there by saying he thinks that would be a great idea for his company. Office suites have you guy's tried Thinkfreeoffice yet?
http://www.thinkfree.com/
a great fully compatable office suite well worth the $39.00 .
With linspire I think they should base the next release on ubuntu and then follow novels lead and give it over to the user developement , then they should concentrate on applications.Ubuntu users and other linux users will pay for software if they like it, for instance I pay for cedega for my kids ,c rossover for myself and other apps.

mips
March 25th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have no problem with Linspire.

The only thing I would get from them though are codecs & dvd stuff which are properly licensed although at a small fee.

I could see other people using it though.

Maybe it's time we look into a graphical version of Synaptic & Adept with pretty Icons and sorted into categories. People seem to like icons ;) I actually think this might just be a good idea for noobs and computer phobes. You click on your icons you want to install and all that is left is to click on one big green button that says install.

Ubuntuud
March 25th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I'm not going to pay for linux, if I would need to I would switch OS X...

afonic
March 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Linspire is a disaster. Makes you pay not only for the OS (that is acceptable, even though I'd not get a distro like that) but to install software and get updates too!!

Most of their software are free software and open source just like in Ubuntu, but still they require a monthly free for you to install them.

I understand that ultra newbies may find it handy but definately does not worth the money. Also about that thinkfree office, why is it better that OpenOffice?

mips
March 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Linspire is a disaster. Makes you pay not only for the OS (that is acceptable, even though I'd not get a distro like that) but to install software and get updates too!!

Most of their software are free software and open source just like in Ubuntu, but still they require a monthly free for you to install them.

I understand that ultra newbies may find it handy but definately does not worth the money. Also about that thinkfree office, why is it better that OpenOffice?

I think it is because you get support.

Anyway, I would only use it to get licenced codecs etc, nothing else. Anybody know of an alternative source to get the licensed codecs and stuff from ?

ssam
March 25th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Maybe it's time we look into a graphical version of Synaptic & Adept with pretty Icons and sorted into categories. People seem to like icons ;) I actually think this might just be a good idea for noobs and computer phobes. You click on your icons you want to install and all that is left is to click on one big green button that says install.

Applications -> Add/Remove

its got a lot of love during dapper developement.

mips
March 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Hmm, don't see anything like that in Kubuntu though.

afonic
March 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I think it is because you get support.

Anyway, I would only use it to get licenced codecs etc, nothing else. Anybody know of an alternative source to get the licensed codecs and stuff from ?

You can already get these codecs in Ubuntu. I don't give a damn if they are licenced or not, I think its stupid to ask a fee for mp3 or DVD playback.

mips
March 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
You can already get these codecs in Ubuntu. I don't give a damn if they are licenced or not, I think its stupid to ask a fee for mp3 or DVD playback.

I agree about the stupid thing and pesonally believe all file formats should be of an open nature. The fact remains that it is still illegal whether we like it or not.

Stormy Eyes
March 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Office suites have you guy's tried Thinkfreeoffice yet?
http://www.thinkfree.com/

The model on the front page is pretty hot for a blonde.

Parkotron
March 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
mips: Try running "adept_installer".

Does anyone else have a major problem with this line?

Works 'WITH' Microsoft® Office...
ThinkFree Office 3 is made-up of three applications: Write,
Calc, and Show-none of which use proprietary file formats.
Instead, all three of these applications use the same file
formats as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint thus enabling
extreme compatibility.

afonic
March 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I agree about the stupid thing and pesonally believe all file formats should be of an open nature. The fact remains that it is still illegal whether we like it or not.

Maybe it is illegal in USA, certainly not here. Don't be scared, in many places there are not clear laws about that kind of stuff.

Besides software patents are not yet recognised. Lets not have it "their way" easily or in a while they will charge us with each playback of a file.

Ubuntuud
March 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Isn't it illegal in Greece? Hope it isn't in the Netherlands either...
But I'm not afraid, still under 18 years :)

mostwanted
March 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Isn't it illegal in Greece? Hope it isn't in the Netherlands either...
But I'm not afraid, still under 18 years :)

No software patents in the European Union; you can relax.

Stormy Eyes
March 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Yeah. It looks like these clowns wouldn't know a proprietary file format if it held a sword to their throats.

Kernel Sanders
March 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
The model on the front page is pretty hot for a blonde.

Meh.......

endersshadow
March 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I do...

And does anybody else get the feeling that this is OO.o with a different name?