PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sapphire Radeon HD4850 1GB

dhlacik
June 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hello guys,

I have a big annoyance with my ATI graphic cards as named in title.

I would like to become full time user of Ubuntu 10.04 TLS 64bit, but the ATI fglrx driver sucks - i am using the one included with Ubuntu (proprietary hardware).

The graphic works, I have driver installed correctly , but when compiz enabled everything is so slow. I can not even watch MKV HD videos in VLC media player . It just sucks, not even mentioning the full screen. The same is valid for flash player.

Do you guys have the same problems as well? What do you recommend? Should i switch to Nvidia graphics? Will this big issue solved for me?

Right now I have to stick with my virtual box VM where opengl works flawlessly from Windows 7.

Best,

David

rpared01
June 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
i think i remember seeing some kind of issues with ati graphics card in the release notes...but i would recommend you read through them to see if you card is affected by the issue.

dhlacik
June 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
i think i remember seeing some kind of issues with ati graphics card in the release notes.

Well there is windows corruption with older ATI cards which does not affects me, and then there is KMS and nomodeset to disable it.