PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Developers for Cpanel-Like App for Ubuntu Server

volobiz
June 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm seeking PHP developers to join me on a Cpanel-like project for Ubuntu Server. It will be free, open source software (F/OSS). The goals of the project are:

Application security is priority # 1.
Serves the shared hosting community, primarily.
Has an appearance that those familiar with Cpanel would easily identify with, and would avoid forms that are too complex (like Webmin forms).
Does not copy icons, page themes, or code from Cpanel.
GPLv3, although one can rebrand and sell as long as they follow the GPLv3.
Modular and easily extended by other PHP devs familiar with Kohana.
PHP, Bash, and Kohana MVC based so that we get logical code and use the largest talent of developers available for Linux. (Uses Kohana minimally, however.)
Community-driven -- in fact, it's not even named because the community can decide this.

tookyourtime
June 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
What is the current stage of the project?

volobiz
June 2nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Just starting. Haven't even named it. However, I have kept records of how I have worked with Webmin to accomplish common tasks on Ubuntu Server. The project team I assemble will set the goals for the project and I will be an active coder on the project as well.

James78
June 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hey, that's a pretty awesome project, wish I knew more PHP so I could help (well, actually I do know PHP, but still). Good luck on it.. You should provide a topic on here on the progress, it might give it more publicity and help! :) Make it more awesome than Webmin... Webmin makes everything too complicated (plus the whole "pay for this for more features" thing).

volobiz
June 4th, 2010, 05:41 AM
So far I'm not getting any luck. I posted here and on Paul Graham's Hacker News site, and can't get anyone to notice this great project. We don't need any funding -- just PHP coders who love Ubuntu. No one has to build the whole thing -- we just need to take baby steps.

I mean, once the framework is whiteboarded, the login form done, and the main page is done, the rest will be the sections and the module icons that go into the panel, one by one. As one figures out how to make a module icon for a particular task, and the community agrees that the form is intuitive enough and the code is solid, we drop it into the main branch.

-grubby
June 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM
You'll get a lot more people on board if you make worthy progress coding some of it yourself first.

abhilashm86
June 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
post this topic in irc too, its better if you use launchpad or git now and start something, so people can join as you get started.
keep updating about status, i'm not expert in php, but can notice and small things.

volobiz
June 5th, 2010, 03:56 PM
That's the thing, I'm afraid to name it or to start one drop of code without getting community input because I don't want this to be a thing from my LLC. I want it to be a community thing entirely. I want to be whiteboarding this thing and getting stellar input from really great minds.

Barrucadu
June 5th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Then nothing will ever get done; people don't often join a project which has nothing to show for itself beyond some ideas, you have to start it yourself for it to work.

slavik
June 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
write the spec for the project, then implement it.

volobiz
June 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Very well then, I'll write the spec, give it a name, and let others make suggestions.