PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to enable.htaccess in ubuntu

dilantha
June 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi,
I want to enable .htaccess in apache and im really sorry for posting this as a new thread because i already saw this was discussed in a previous thread :(. But that solution did not worked for me. So that's why i thought of posting this in a new thread. I went to /etc/apache2/sites-available and edited default file as below

DocumentRoot /var/www
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride ALL
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>and then restart the apache web server.but still the .htaccess is not working :(. Also i have enabled apache user directories. so im accessing my local host in

http://localhost/~dilantha/ May be there is a different way to enable .htaccess in user directories .](*,) Please help..:(

lukeiamyourfather
June 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
There's a sites-enabled and a sites-available directory. Only the files in the sites-enabled directory are used. Cheers!

dilantha
June 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
There's a sites-enabled and a sites-available directory. Only the files in the sites-enabled directory are used. Cheers!

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your effort but its not working yet.Here is the 000-default file inside sites-enabled folder

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/>
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

It already has AllowOverride All in it. but still no luck :confused:. any idea?

lukeiamyourfather
June 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your effort but its not working yet.Here is the 000-default file inside sites-enabled folder

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/>
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

It already has AllowOverride All in it. but still no luck :confused:. any idea?

What do you mean by no luck? Are you not getting the default HTML page when you browse to localhost? Or is a PHP site you have not working right?

dilantha
June 3rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
What do you mean by no luck? Are you not getting the default HTML page when you browse to localhost? Or is a PHP site you have not working right?

Hi,
Yes..Its a PHP site. The folder which contains the .htaccess file in not visible in the localhost and when i tried to access that folder through the URL it gives me an Internal server error.

In the apache error logs it says

.htaccess: Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configurationSo i enabled mod re-write by typing below command and restart the apache server.

sudo a2enmod rewriteNow the folder which contains the .htaccess file is visible in localhost. But when i click on that folder it asks to download a file called McTTInre.phtml.part. I don't know from where this file came from. Now in my apache error logs it says

[Thu Jun 03 08:21:45 2010] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
PHP Deprecated: Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mcrypt.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
[Thu Jun 03 08:21:46 2010] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Jun 03 08:21:56 2010] [warn] RewriteCond: NoCase option for non-regex pattern '-d' is not supported and will be ignored.
[Thu Jun 03 08:21:56 2010] [warn] RewriteCond: NoCase option for non-regex pattern '-f' is not supported and will be ignored.
[Thu Jun 03 08:21:56 2010] [warn] RewriteCond: NoCase option for non-regex pattern '-d' is not supported and will be ignored.
[Thu Jun 03 08:21:56 2010] [warn] RewriteCond: NoCase option for non-regex pattern '-f' is not supported and will be ignored.
[Thu Jun 03 08:22:10 2010] [warn] RewriteCond: NoCase option for non-regex pattern '-d' is not supported and will be ignored.

[Thu Jun 03 08:22:10 2010] [warn] RewriteCond: NoCase option for non-regex pattern '-f' is not supported and will be ignored.

](*,)..any idea?

lukeiamyourfather
June 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Do you mind if I ask what application/site you're trying to host? The default htaccess file will work for most sites. Also check with the documentation if its a application like Wordpress, Drupal, etc. They will usually cover common problems specific to that project. Cheers!

deepakost
June 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Go to Joomla Admin Panel and -> Global Configuration -> SEO Settings -> URL Rewriting -> Set Yes

Now Go to Ubuntu Terminal write :-

cd /etc/apache2/sites-available$ vi default press Enter key

and after that space key it will show you different Modes on virtual terminal Select E for Edit mode

and Set All in first three <directory> AllowOverride All</directory> and stay Set none to last one directory and now save it as a new setting

and then press Q for quit and exit to come out from virtual mode..

Thanx
God Bless You