PDA

View Full Version : Facebook auto-join group and sent invites to friends.

techdude3177
June 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Yesterday I had one of my friends ask me to why I sent her a group invite as I have never done before. I told her I had no idea what is she talking as a dont belong to any groups. Upon further investigation of this I magically was apart of a group called "The average IQ is 100. Are you smarter than the average person?" And I sent out group invites to all of my friends with some weird UID in the comment line. I quickly changed my password, there were no other weird occurrences. I did a search on google for other people with a similar issue and it seems very rare. Has anyone else seen something like this?

whiskeylover
June 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Your password was most probably hacked by a mischievous app.

techdude3177
June 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Not really sure about that one. Maybe caught my session or something. I didnt download any new applications recently and I am not a fan of apps on facebook.
Funny thing about this though is that the group last night was around 192 thousand members. I checked the group out now @ http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=106499366061933 and the member count is around 194 thousand and still growing. So I am probably not the only one to have ran into this.

NightwishFan
June 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Change your password anyway.

techdude3177
June 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Well it appears to be a facebook app that I already gave authorization to. I thought I removed all apps a long time ago but I guess not. I removed all the apps just in-case and hopefully I dont have a re-occurrence if I do I will make sure to update.

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah I had a weird thing happen yesterday that's part of this new phishing thing going on. When I was posting something it brought me to a screen just asking for my password which was odd considering I just posted something 10 seconds before hand. So I opened up facebook in a new tab, and compared the source codes. Turns out I was right, it was a fake made to look like the actually facbook thing. I don't even know HTML, but it was easy to make out that it was going to redirect my password to some weird website. I googled it and it turns out there were other people having the same problem.