PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04LTS install - connect to www?

borderfox
June 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hello. I am a complete newb - and have just installed ubuntu 8.04lts. I am having difficulty in connecting to my router and the internet. My network card (realtek) seems to have been recognised by the system - but I cannot ping the router. I went to system=>admin=>network and selected wired connection. I then selected dhcp and restarted the machine - but no joy. Where do I go from here? I have a bt voyager adsl modem/router.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

linux-hack
June 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
first of all your sure your router is working ?

what is giving the ifconfig command ?

try doing a
sudo dhclient

dustinmarlowe56
June 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
I saw something similar to this on the forums about a week ago, have you tried turning off your router, waiting about a minute and then turning it back on so that it is allowed to reset and recalibrate itself to a new computer?

borderfox
June 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
@boogy9 & dustinmarlowe56: I didn't spend much time on it as I've had to turn in for work - but will try your suggestions once I get back to base. Thanks guys. Will report back the outcome.

irv
June 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
One quick question, Why are you installing a older version of Ubuntu? is it because you are installing it on a older machine? I just installed 10.04 on a older pc I bought at a yard-sale and it works great.

kansasnoob
June 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
One quick question, Why are you installing a older version of Ubuntu? is it because you are installing it on a older machine? I just installed 10.04 on a older pc I bought at a yard-sale and it works great.

I wondered the same thing?

With few exceptions hardware support improves from version to version.

Now, before anyone jumps all over me, I did say "with few exceptions"!

I know, for example, Karmic's Xorg won't play well with my VIA graphics but every other version of Ubuntu from Feisty forward has!

borderfox
June 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
first of all your sure your router is working ?Yes - have been using it for 3 years - and its working right now with other devices - setup for dhcp.

try doing a
sudo dhclient
Tried that but no joy. It couldnt get a dhcp response. One thing I did notice was a listing of subnet masks that were 255.255.255.255 - I thought these should be 255.255.255.0

what is giving the ifconfig command ?
I will have to make a copy of it and paste it in here as I'm not sure what i'm looking at - however, it doesnt give any indication of connection to the router or beyond. Time is a thief! will copy it in here tomorrow.

@irv & kansasnoob: I am following a tutorial on using linux for a specific application. Perhaps the tutorial is a little outdated. However, I only need to get it setup for this specific purpose. At least after that, I intend to leave it be for a while - and slowly build up my linux knowledge from there...

borderfox
June 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. The adsl router is a BT Voyager 2110.

borderfox
June 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Well, I wanted to post the outputs from those 2 commands that were suggested above ..ie. sudo dhclient & ifconfig - but that has led me into another problem. I took the screenshots and then found I couldnt get them onto a usb stick.

1. how do i even check if the pci usb card is installed and recognised by ubuntu?
2. how do i 'mount' or access a usb pen drive thats slotted in to this card?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction. It feels like learning how to walk again - but i just need to get a bit of momentum going!!!