PDA

View Full Version : Another Ubuntu Magazine

MichealH
June 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

I have made a Ubuntu Magazine called Ubuzine. It is in PDF Form If you would like to look at what is in. Please give Feedback.

I need Writers for Issue 2 To apply Contact/PM Me.

Thanks

MichealH

EDIT: Uploading to somewhere else Too Big!

Phrea
June 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Learn to proof reed. You, sir, forgot to post the pdf itself. :P

MichealH
June 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
It was because it was to big Sheesh

http://www.michealh.co.cc/ubuntu/Ubuzine.pdf

There go save a copy :P

Oh and sorry for the lines. I couldn't print with the Adobe PDF Printer I had to use CutePDF :L

MichealH
June 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
Anyone have any opinions?

cmcanulty
June 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Very nice! I particularly like that it is targeted to people that aren't as advanced as Full Circle magazine seems to be for. Hope you can continue and I have some suggestions of things to write about if you want ideas.

ssj6akshat
June 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
I volunteer for writing for it.

dustinmarlowe56
June 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I also volunteer, shoot me a private message sometime if there is anything i can contribute

James7
June 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Good work! I like the recommended apps bit (but do you think you could have the screenshots from Ubuntu versions of those apps in future editions?).
:biggrin:

NightwishFan
June 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
It seems like it has a lot of potential! That is pretty good work. You did it all yourself I assume.

howefield
June 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Anyone have any opinions?

Very good and well done. Hope you keep at it.

Some small points.

Spelling/grammar/font choice is important.
4 pages of content spread over 12 ?
Gimp & Chrome running in Windows ? great advert for Ubuntu ;-)
What's with the random capitalisation ?

RichardLinx
June 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I tried to take a look at it but the server keeps timing out for me:
The server at www.michealh.co.cc is taking too long to respond.
Is it just me?

T.Slattery
June 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Looks cewl nice work.

MichealH
June 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
I tried to take a look at it but the server keeps timing out for me:
Is it just me?

Works fine for me. It may just be loading the big PDF document. It takes time.

Oh and for all the volunteers, people suggesting Articles, People wanting to suggest apps just email ubuzine@michealh.co.cc with the word UBUZINE at the front for my filters to filter suggestions from real email. (Thank you forwarders!)

TheStroj
June 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I checked this magazine and it looks nice and it could become something bigger, but you should really change the looks of it (there's too much unused space, resulting in all-is-white).

The font looks kinda bad too and when you type the whole page, don't leave the background blank (white), or if you like it that way, add some pictures because now it looks so empty.

I know this is just the begining and that's why I'm saying this - to help you making it better :). Oh yeah, and as someone said - leave Windows out of this :P

Linux_junkie
June 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Well done for the first edition, it has potential and if you do continue with it every week/month I for one will download and read it.

Just one minor question, has it been created in PowerPoint 2007? The version I downloaded has the file extension of pptx! But why create it in Power Point? A wordprocessor would be better. Did you know that modern word processors can do DTP work. You also have better control of the content within a word processor.

Anyway, it is a good effort.

TheNessus
June 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

I have made a Ubuntu Magazine called Ubuzine. It is in PDF Form If you would like to look at what is in. Please give Feedback.

I need Writers for Issue 2 To apply Contact/PM Me.

Thanks

MichealH

EDIT: Uploading to somewhere else Too Big!

Publish it as an rss, without linking. just as an entire rss feed.

MichealH
June 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
I will try to do it via rss .There was an issue with the submission address so if there is an article you would like to submit ,email micheal.harker@googlemail.com and I will get back to you! when I rebrand the ubuntu-Uk website. I will see if some branding material goes in the magazine.

t0p
June 2nd, 2010, 11:13 PM
The version I downloaded has the file extension of pptx! But why create it in Power Point? A wordprocessor would be better. Did you know that modern word processors can do DTP work. You also have better control of the content within a word processor.

I agree with Linux-junkie: there are a great many Linux apps out there that could create your mag. OpenOffice Writer and Abiword can both export to pdf I believe.

Also, the size of the text and the overwhelming-ness of the white background is a touch... overwhelming. Smaller text and some background interests (Tux tiles or inappropriate non-work safe images of Pepsi and Shirley) would help. In fact, the mag as a whole needs more pictures of penguins. Repeat after me: penguins sell Linux... penguins sell Linux... penguins sell Linux.

samalex
June 2nd, 2010, 11:14 PM
Kudos, but I have some suggestions:
- Use your page real estate more wisely. As someone suggested it could be condensed into 4 pages.
- Do some research on finding good fonts for print. There are various articles via Google that cover this, and it may help you get a better magazine/newspaper look using some of the more common 'print' fonts. Here are a couple that are pretty good:
http://www.charlotteswebstudios.com/article.php?ttd=2&ark=1
http://designreviver.com/inspiration/30-of-the-best-fonts-designers-should-use-for-print/
- I'd suggest using something like Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/) as opposed to a Word Processor. You can create a template and reuse it each issue so each release has the same look and feel.
- Keep the content/articles separate from the magazine template so you can publish it using other media, for example on a website, RSS feed, text-only newsletter, etc.
- From a copyright standpoint you may need to note that some product names are copyright by their prospective owners. Someone with more legal background might chime in on this, but you mentioned Google, Microsoft , and others so there may be some blurb you don't hold copyright to any of these. (it's obvious you don't, but I've seen lawyers go ofter crazier things... it's a CYA suggestion)
- I like the title, but come-up with a witty logo to match. Granted this is your equiv of a pilot episode or beta issue, and most of the time such releases have rough edges.

All and all I like it, though it needs some polishing and possibly some contributions from other writers to make it more rounded. E-Zines like this that are created by one person to me are more of a blog. My wife and I are actually talking about creating a more FOSS oriented online magazine like this, so I've enjoyed seeing the feedback you've gotten because our ideas are similar to with you've done ... just ours would be more FOSS related than Ubuntu specific.

Take care --

Sam

mysteriousdarren
June 2nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I would help with apps, and suggesting things that could be written articles on. I will also write articles if asked.

Madspyman
June 3rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
I could write an article or two, prob just one (or two just sounds better). As long as it doesn't matter what Ubuntu related topic it's about.

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2010, 01:12 AM
Content is okay, layout pretty bad. Grammatical errors are abundant. Keep working on it.

MichealH
June 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Bump

t0p
June 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM
A few questions:

What kind of submissions are you after? Who is the typical reader: an absolute beginner, a keen-to-learn but not yet too knowledgeable user, an intermediate user, a guru, or just anyone interested? Do you want submissions aimed at newbies only, or a variety of simple and more complicated subjects?

What's the deadline for submissions? I realise this won't be set in stone yet, but it would be useful to know roughly when you plan to release issue 2, when do we need to submit an article to get it in the next issue.

I might be interested in writing for you. If you have time, check out the Ubuntu-related entries on my blog (http://ihatehate.wordpress.com). Don't be put off by my entries on politics etc: I try very hard to keep my political views out of my technical writing.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread; but if you want to contact me personally send me a PM.

Good luck.

donkyhotay
June 4th, 2010, 02:41 PM
What kind of submissions are you after? Who is the typical reader: an absolute beginner, a keen-to-learn but not yet too knowledgeable user, an intermediate user, a guru, or just anyone interested? Do you want submissions aimed at newbies only, or a variety of simple and more complicated subjects?

Indeed, you need to know what your audience target is. You will have very different articles if you're focusing on noobs vs. "l33t h4x0rs". Once you have your target focus articles on those users, it's ok to have a beginners or guru corner (opposite of your main target) but you always need to know your primary audience and have anything going against that very small. If you have lots of beginner articles one month and lots of guru articles the next you're going to confuse people and lose readership. I'm assuming from your first first magazine that you're going for the beginner group.

MichealH
June 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM
A few questions:

I'm going to say anyone who is interested can write articles... Email michealh@michealh.co.cc

What's the deadline for submissions? I realise this won't be set in stone yet, but it would be useful to know roughly when you plan to release issue 2, when do we need to submit an article to get it in the next issue.

Maybe 1 more week because Issues will be released every 2 weeks.

I might be interested in writing for you. If you have time, check out the Ubuntu-related entries on my blog (http://ihatehate.wordpress.com). Don't be put off by my entries on politics etc: I try very hard to keep my political views out of my technical writing.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to subscribe to this thread; but if you want to contact me personally send me a PM.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

MichealH
June 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Bump

Странник
June 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Good luck! :)

KingYaba
June 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I'd change the layout if I were you. Needs to look cleaner and easier to read. I'd use a purple gradient or something similar. Purple to white. I don't want to sound harsh but it looks messy and the font is too big. I wouldn't limit myself to Ubuntu, either. I take it it's simply a rough draft so having a Tip of the Weekand application reviews would be cool.

MichealH
June 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM
New Issue! Issue 2:

To get the Issue 01:

www.michealh.co.cc/ubuntu/archives/06/01/Ubuzine.pdf

To get the latest:

www.michealh.co.cc/ubuntu/Ubuzine.pdf

samalex
June 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Michael,

I like the layout of Issue 2 much better, but the content is rather off topic if you're making it 'Ubuntu-centric'. You're reviewing Opera on the iPhone and discussing what a search engine is, but these really don't have much to do with Ubuntu.

I'd suggest having a beginners section and advanced section for home users, then having something for small businesses as well. You could also break away from the technical how-to and do some cost analysis of open source vs closed source software or listing some of the equivalent software packages in the Ubuntu repositories that could take the place of common closed source applications (OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, The Gimp instead of Photoshop, etc) and list the costs of each closed source application. That or post opinion articles on open source software. I always enjoy reading people's points of view when it comes to such things.

Also per the PDF properties it shows the Document Title as 'Microsoft Word - Ubuzine.docx' so are you writing this using Microsoft Word 2007? Just curious, if so there are way better apps out there, plus some purists won't give your zine the time of day if they think you write it using closed source software :)

Take care --

Sam

donkyhotay
June 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Michael,

I like the layout of Issue 2 much better, but the content is rather off topic if you're making it 'Ubuntu-centric'. You're reviewing Opera on the iPhone and discussing what a search engine is, but these really don't have much to do with Ubuntu.

I'd suggest having a beginners section and advanced section for home users, then having something for small businesses as well. You could also break away from the technical how-to and do some cost analysis of open source vs closed source software or listing some of the equivalent software packages in the Ubuntu repositories that could take the place of common closed source applications (OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, The Gimp instead of Photoshop, etc) and list the costs of each closed source application. That or post opinion articles on open source software. I always enjoy reading people's points of view when it comes to such things.

Also per the PDF properties it shows the Document Title as 'Microsoft Word - Ubuzine.docx' so are you writing this using Microsoft Word 2007? Just curious, if so there are way better apps out there, plus some purists won't give your zine the time of day if they think you write it using closed source software :)

Take care --

Sam

Agreed, this issue seems more like a general computer/technology magazine that happend to mention ubuntu then something devoted to reporting news on ubuntu.

MichealH
June 10th, 2010, 07:21 PM
IPhone app I review are Free. Openoffice and I ermmm.... Really don't get along together but worth a shot. and Also It only just happens If I were to keep the number of ubuntu articles up I need writers! E-mail michealh@michealh.co.cc with your article.

howefield
June 10th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Well done, but you need someone to proof read before you publish.

Many mistakes, sorry.

MichealH
June 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I have someone ready to proofread for Issue 3 coming out around the 17th

t0p
June 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
IPhone app I review are FreeFree??? Are you sure about that?? I didn't know iphone did Free apps.

Please note: I'm not talking about "free" as in "doesn't cost anything". I mean "free" as in it belongs to everyone. As far as I know, Apple doesn't give anything away free.

Apple fanboi-ism is cool n that. But why hide behind the ubuntuzine facade?

tgalati4
June 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I would rename it: YAUM

samalex
June 10th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Michael... You have a good foundation to build from, but being the editor of this new zine it's up to you to set some boundaries and rules for articles instead of just asking people to write whatever.

I suggest at least defining some sections that will be in each issue, then create a list of possible article topics per section. That way people who want to contribute can have something to shoot at.

For example if you want to have a SOHO section (Small Office/Home Office) you could have topics like Backup Solutions, Network File Sharing, Printer Sharing, VPN, Time Management, Accounting/Financial, Office Suites, etc. Then people can have some scope whether they want to write a how-to on setting-up a print server, some tips on how to use FOSS to maintain their books or tasks, or even how to setup a VPN to remote into a small home/office network while on the go. Even product reviews, book reviews, etc could be written for this category given these topics.

See how a topic as blah as Small Office/Home Office can be expanded? Create about 6 to 10 such topics, expand each topic even further, and people who wish to contribute will have lots of topics from your bucket to pick from. Also lots of people in here write blogs, so maybe someone has a recent blog post on one of your topics. Instant content given you get permission.

And not every article you're sent needs to be packed into the next issue. Save some that aren't based on current events and use them when you need them.

Also come-up with some rules for articles. For example length (# of words), topic oriented (FOSS only), the format you'll except (ASCII, RTF, ODF, etc), and whatever you need to so the content stays congruent with the way you want the zine to evolve. Also will you edit articles before publishing, will you take resources from multiple articles and combine them with other resources to create one larger article? These will help potential writers know what to expect when contributing.

Just some suggestions ...

Sam

MichealH
June 20th, 2010, 09:09 PM
For all of those wondering where the issue is... I had to redo my computer and I am converting to OO.o so I will try and Get it out soon!

Sorry for any Inconvenience,

MichealH

wojox
June 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
You need to fix a lot of the spelling mistakes.

I like it. Good job. :p

MichealH
June 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry for any inconvenience:

Here it is :)

Oh and In addition join #ubuzine on Freenode. That is our channel :guitar:

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I will be sure the check it out soon.

NightwishFan
June 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Bump, I like the layout a lot more. That is really great work. If I am not busy sometimes perhaps I can submit articles or reviews.

polomint77
June 27th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry for any inconvenience:

Here it is :)

Oh and In addition join #ubuzine on Freenode. That is our channel :guitar:

I've joined #ubuzine. How often are there people there? I'm pretty new to Ubuntu but I'm thinking that I could write an article or two from a new user's standpoint..

See you there.. :)

EDIT: Links to the old issues would be great too, :)

John

MichealH
June 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I've joined #ubuzine. How often are there people there? I'm pretty new to Ubuntu but I'm thinking that I could write an article or two from a new user's standpoint..

See you there.. :)

EDIT: Links to the old issues would be great too, :)

John

Nobody should be there. It has just been made. But I am on #ubuzine whenever my computer is on.

polomint77
June 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Ahh, that's ok. I'll probably get on most evenings (UK time).

:)

MichealH
June 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
See you then :)

Just a bump for all of yas!

MichealH
June 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
So... any more suggestions?

ubunterooster
June 29th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Great job. I think it needs more volume though. Maybe I could help sometime?

I tend to be on here 6 days a week.

I'm not ever on IRC, but if you ever want me to write something just give me an email/PM (I check PMs more)

MichealH
June 29th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Great job. I think it needs more volume though. Maybe I could help sometime?

I tend to be on here 6 days a week.

I'm not ever on IRC, but if you ever want me to write something just give me an email/PM (I check PMs more)

I have someone writing an article. Maybe you can? Type it attech to an email. Give me a name, Description and image to use at the end of the article :D Send it to ubuzine@michealh.co.cc

MichealH
July 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Sorry If there is any delay... I am waiting for an Article to come through... Baby Steps! Baby Steps...