PDA

View Full Version : Problem user

Johnsie
June 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I'm a programmer and there is a user that is constantly giving me hell. Has anyone got any good ideas for dealing with annoying people that excessively use exclamation marks, cc bosses into emails and generally make a nuisance?

fatality_uk
June 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I'm a programmer and there is a user that is constantly giving me hell. Has anyone got any good ideas for dealing with annoying people that excessively use exclamation marks, cc bosses into emails and generally make a nuisance?

Yes, but it would certainly break the CoC :P

In reality, if you have such a user, two ways to deal with it. Unless they are directly effecting your work, then ignore them. Hard to do but at the end of the day, if you can carry on coding, and not be effected by them, they usually stop doing that kind of the behaviour.

If they are having direct consequences on your ability to work, if you have a common boss, then speak to them and outline calmly and clearly your issues. If not, then have your boos speak to their boss after you giving your side calmly.

lisati
June 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Like fatality_uk, I found myself thinking of one or two things that would probably run counter to the CoC.

I agree: if your ability to get your work done is being messed with, it's probably better to get your boss(es) involved in sorting things out.

dragos240
June 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
I don't know, talk to him, or do one of those things mentioned above. However, if it continues..... you're a programmer right? I'm sure you could figure out a way.

pwnst*r
June 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
Confront or ignore while staying within general work ethic and your company policy. Don't do something stupid that could blemish your work history.

whiskeylover
June 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Confront or ignore while staying within general work ethic and your company policy. Don't do something stupid that could blemish your work history.

^ this

Plus, CCing the boss is a norm when sending emails to members of other teams. It keeps the boss in the loop, so you can easily explain all those hours you put in your timesheet.

samjh
June 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Communicate the problem clearly and professionally to your superior so that it can be solved via the proper channels. Outline why it is negatively affecting your ability to do your duties.

My immediate impression based upon your post, is that this is a very frustrated, probably very busy user, with little to no computing knowledge, who perhaps believes that IT isn't giving enough attention to the issues he or she is complaining about. Perhaps look at the scenario from his or her shoes and see if there is anything that you do which is contributing to this "nuisance".

juancarlospaco
June 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Drop coffe on him
everyday
make it looks like an accident