PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a point to use GNU/Linux?

commodore
March 25th, 2006, 08:39 AM
There's only one computer in my family and there's three people using it. Two of them are using Windows and I am using Ubuntu. I get to use the computer for one hour then one of the other members of my family can use it for one hour then I can reboot back to Ubuntu. Is it worth all that rebooting? I can use python, GIMP, Inkscape, Bluefish etc. on Windows too.

If I would have money I would have an absolutely Windows free computer.

dermotti
March 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Rebooting can be stressfull on hardrives....

jason.b.c
March 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Gimp??

Yes, just search ( Google ) the internet for it!

tom-ubuntu
March 25th, 2006, 09:28 AM
What applications are used by the other family members? Some that is available under Linux aswell? Get rid of Windows if possible, saves you from rebooting :D

kanem
March 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM
What applications are used by the other family members? Some that is available under Linux aswell? Get rid of Windows if possible, saves you from rebooting :D
Yeah, I would make a point to let them see that all the programs they are using are also avaliable to you in Ubuntu.

And if you get really desparate, infect teh windows side with a nasty virus.:evil:

commodore
March 25th, 2006, 10:51 AM
There's absolutely no way they will use Ubuntu. They are both gamers too. I will use Windows then until I have chance to buy my own computer (which will probably not happen because I'm only 15).

tom-ubuntu
March 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM
There's absolutely no way they will use Ubuntu. They are both gamers too. I will use Windows then until I have chance to buy my own computer (which will probably not happen because I'm only 15).
Yeah, with games it is getting difficult. Ask your parents to buy them an videogame console ;) Gamecube, PS2 or Xbox are pretty cheap now. PC is anyway to expensive just for gaming IMHO.

ssam
March 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM
dapper will be quite a bit faster at booting so it may be less of an inconvenience in the future.

definately put things like openoffice, firefox and gimp on windows. if your family can use them on windows then they have a much lower barrier to switching.

get some good linux games. maybe you family will get addicted. there are a few thread of people listing good linux games.

BoyOfDestiny
March 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Well there is always ebay. Or if you know someone with an old machine lying around maybe they'll give/lend it to you.

I've personally given away 2 machines (one 486, and a pentium II). I will probably send an old pentium III to my uncle, whenver I get a chance to put ubuntu on it. :)

EDIT: Just looking at ebay, quite a few machines for under $150... Anyway, I know it may be risky for used, for what's it's worth my monitor is a refurb, and has been great to me. 22" Multisync FE1250, 1600x1200 85hz (ubuntu detected the proper refresh rate too :) ) for $162

virgule
March 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
yeah too much reboot may burn the restarting coil.:mrgreen:

Ubuntu (and all Linux for that matter) are true multi-user systems. That is a strong point to use Linux over Windows. If the other users are gamers it will be hard to change their minds tho.. We have WINE but its a hit or miss.. they likely won't appreciate the hassle and/or the game may not perform properly.

OffHand
March 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Buy/get a cheap/free compu and get over with it :D
There's plenty of cheap/free reasonable compu's.
My own compu is build from old compu's.

Iandefor
March 25th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Doesn't look like it would be worth it to keep rebooting. Rebooting places stress on the hard drive, which makes it go out sooner. If you're only using Free applications that are available for Windows, too, I'd stick with Windows until I could get myself a separate computer. And it doesn't cost too much to get a decent computer- I have a really good computer and it only cost me around $350 US once shipping was taken care of. Then again, I had to build it on my own, but it really isn't so hard to build a computer. Prebuilts that have similar specifications to mine will probably cost around $400 if building it sounds scary. To give you an idea of the system you can get for so little money, here are my specs:

AMD Sempron64 2600+ (Rated at 1.6 ghz but I oc'ed it to around 1.9)
1 Gigabyte Corsair Valueselect RAM
40 Gigabye Hard disc (can't remember brand or company, sorry)
Biostar TForce-6100-754 motherboard with integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU

Hope this helps.

Iandefor
March 25th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Doesn't look like it would be worth it to keep rebooting. Rebooting places stress on the hard drive, which makes it go out sooner. If you're only using Free applications that are available for Windows, too, I'd stick with Windows until I could get myself a separate computer. And it doesn't cost too much to get a decent computer- I have a really good computer and it only cost me around $350 US once shipping was taken care of. Then again, I had to build it on my own, but it really isn't so hard to build a computer. Prebuilts that have similar specifications to mine will probably cost around $400 if building it sounds scary. To give you an idea of the system you can get for so little money, here are my specs:

AMD Sempron64 2600+ (Rated at 1.6 ghz but I oc'ed it to around 1.9)
1 Gigabyte Corsair Valueselect RAM
40 Gigabye Hard disc (can't remember brand or company, sorry)
Biostar TForce-6100-754 motherboard with integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU

Hope this helps.

commodore
March 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone you are a real help.

I can't buy my own computer now, but I'll start working towards it. I don't have income (I'm getting 15 next week) and I don't get much money from my parents.
There's not much money in my country anyway. I like to call Estonia a "transition" country because it was part of the soviet union only 15 years ago (don't think we're slavic, we aren't). But our country is progressing VERY fast and especially in the IT section. I think we were the first country ever that actually voted over the internet and we things called ID cards which you can use as identification and to give signatures to stuff like documents and e-mails.

I'll download GIMP, Inkscape and some coding app for Windows then and make some websites or something to earn money.