PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GParted options disabled / enable GUI root login

mark01
June 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
I have tried all sorts to get GParted to work. I have tried both sudo and SU and nothing allows me to do what I want. Some options like format and resize are disabled. what can I do?
Oh and I apologize if this has been answered but, how do I enable graphical root login, please don't give me "you don't know how so therefore you shouldn't" or "its a bad idea" just tell me how, please? I'm getting the boxed in feeling with everything behind a password or something stopping me, I just want to use my laptop as I wish to, not how somebody else tells me.. /rant
Thanks, Mark

sisco311
June 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
I have tried all sorts to get GParted to work. I have tried both sudo and SU and nothing allows me to do what I want. Some options like format and resize are disabled. what can I do?

You have to unmount the partition in order to be able to format or resize it.

Oh and I apologize if this has been answered but, how do I enable graphical root login, please don't give me "you don't know how so therefore you shouldn't" or "its a bad idea" just tell me how, please? I'm getting the boxed in feeling with everything behind a password or something stopping me, I just want to use my laptop as I wish to, not how somebody else tells me.. /rant
Thanks, Mark

It's against the forum policy:
Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials (new)
Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials (old)

mark01
June 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
You have to unmount the partition in order to be able to format or resize it.
So how would I go about that?

It's against the forum policy:
Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials (new)
Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials (old)
Thanks for letting me know :)

sisco311
June 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
So how would I go about that?

Right click on the partition and select Unmount.

John Bean
June 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
You can't modify the active partition with gparted. Boot from a live CD and run it from there.

As for enabling a root account in Ubuntu, Google is your friend. My advice is "don't".

mark01
June 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Right click on the partition and select Unmount.

*facepalm* Thanks :)