PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VOB playback is iffy

marshmallow1304
June 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
I just learned how to rip a DVD in full quality with vobcopy. I did

vobcopy -F 64 -l
which resulted in an approximately 5.5 GB VOB file of an approximately 1:40 movie. The problem is that although players play the file, I haven't found a single one that works completely and properly. In Totem, the total time jumps around, finally staying (but never stopping) around 1:20. If I try to track to anywhere, Totem stops playing immediately. VLC displays the total time as 0:0:31. Tracking is better, but it always goes behind where I click and inevitably it stops playing after a number of moves. MPlayer displays the correct total time and tracks perfectly within about the first 15 minutes. If I try to track to anywhere outside that, it stops playing.

Also, nautilus did not generate a thumbnail for the file. Is there anything I can do to make the players behave? Or is there a more accessible format for ripping DVDs in full quality?

andrew.46
June 2nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hi marshmallow,

MPlayer displays the correct total time and tracks perfectly within about the first 15 minutes. If I try to track to anywhere outside that, it stops playing.

It might be worthwhile trying to play your file with the -forceidx option:

mplayer -forceidx my_file.vob

All the best,

Andrew

marshmallow1304
June 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
While researching your suggestion, I found this (http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2004-December/050181.html) which lead me to do

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -forceidx -o output-file.vob input-file.vob

Now, I've got a file that plays perfectly in Totem with the proper total length. VLC displays the proper total length and also tracks properly, but it refuses to play the video, citing

VLC does not support the audio or video format " ". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
At this point, it doesn't matter to me, as long as Totem plays it. Also, a thumbnail is now generated.

Thank you.

[EDIT] The new file is also .5 GB smaller. I'm not particularly concerned though.

[EDIT] I spoke too soon. The new file skips backward at some points. I'll do some more experimentation.
[EDIT] The problem is with the original. Maybe there's something better than vobcopy.

andrew.46
June 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hi marshmallow1304,

Partial success anyway :). A major shortcoming with MEncoder is that it is really only designed to work with the avi container, although a few other containers are possible. I am not sure if FFmpeg can rebuild an index in this way...

Andrew

marshmallow1304
June 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
I wonder if there is a better tool than vobcopy to backup DVDs from the command line. I used OGMRip on a different machine and it created an MKV that, though a bit smaller than the .vobs, appeared to be of equal quality and played properly with no issues.

[EDIT] Whoa. I just saw your sig. The movie I'm ripping is The Matrix. Whoa.

andrew.46
June 3rd, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hi marshmallow,

Whoa. I just saw your sig. The movie I'm ripping is The Matrix. Whoa.

I presume when you say 'Whoa' you are quoting Neo's infamous comment when he sees Morpheus jump from one skyscraper to another :). Another technique to try for DVD ripping is:

mplayer -v dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile matrix.vob

which works well enough.

All the best,

Andrew

marshmallow1304
June 3rd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Good. :D The mplayer dump gives me good playback in VLC, the only problem being that all times are wrong. I'll try rebuilding the index as before.

Yep, it works really well. I can't play the re-indexed video in VLC, but it's fine in Totem. Now I'm having OCD about whether one of the two (mplayer dump plus mencoder with -idx to matrix.vob or OGMRip with no encoding to matrix.mkv) is better in terms of quality.