PDA

View Full Version : regarding sbrk()

AdityaK
June 2nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
I'm working with a program on an AIX machine. Now I know that sbrk(0) returns the address of the end of the memory space allocated to the process. I want to know whether this allocated space also includes the heap kept aside for the process. I'm confused because my program uses sbrk(0) to locate the starting address of the heap allocated to it, while I feel the heap is already included in the allocated memory. How do I find out?

rnerwein
June 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
hi
have a look at: man edata --> etext, edata, end - end of program segments
think this will help you.
but if you are using brk/sbrk you really ! must know what you do !!!!
ciao

soltanis
June 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
At the start of program execution, the program break will be somewhere
near &end (perhaps at the start of the following page). However, the
break will change as memory is allocated via brk(2) or malloc(3). Use
sbrk(2) with an argument of zero to find the current value of the pro‐
gram break.

When the program is first initialized, there is little or no memory allocated to you beyond the amount which your program occupies in memory. You must allocate the heap yourself using sbrk, or more sanely, malloc. Why are you using sbrk, when most documentation advises strongly against it?

AdityaK
June 14th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Right, I get it now. Thanx
I'm working with someone else's code who had used sbrk(0) to locate the current start of the heap memory allocated to the program. That's where the doubt came from.
Thanx again :)

rnerwein
June 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
At the start of program execution, the program break will be somewhere
near &end (perhaps at the start of the following page). However, the
break will change as memory is allocated via brk(2) or malloc(3). Use
sbrk(2) with an argument of zero to find the current value of the pro‐
gram break.
When the program is first initialized, there is little or no memory allocated to you beyond the amount which your program occupies in memory. You must allocate the heap yourself using sbrk, or more sanely, malloc. Why are you using sbrk, when most documentation advises strongly against it?

hi
what soltanis tell you is very,very,very .... true.
if you are using any function call in that programm you are the loser - sure.
have a redesign because nobody can following what's going on. ( malloc, valloc etc. don't know that brk and sbrk is used !! - or is this kernel stuff you are talking about ? ).
ciao :-)