PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How Do I Use the Floppy Drive in Ubuntu?

Ben_222
June 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Is there a guide on using the floppy drive in Ubuntu?I am having trouble finding anything .I have no blank floppies now;all are formatted for Windows.Many of them I can use for Ubuntu,but I can't mount them,and have no idea how to copy to them or read from them.Ubuntu is recognizing the drive,and "floppy drive" is in "Places" directly under "Computer".The icon for floppy drive also shows up when I open "Computer.Any help would be appreciated.

jerome1232
June 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
It should get mounted when you click it's icon in the 'Places' menu.

You may be able to use a panel applet, right click you panel, click add to panel, find disk mounter, see if that helps.

Elfy
June 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Lol floppies are ancient technology, why wanna use em anyway

Ohh stuff them and use a usb thumb drive.

That isn't addressing the issue is it.

bwallum
June 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Disk Mounter works for me. As jerome1232 says:- On the top panel find a blank area, right click and choose 'Add to panel'. Look down the list for Disk Mounter, left click and it is added to your top panel.

From there, put a floppy into your floppy drive and left click on the Disk Mounter icon. You can choose to mount it and view the contents. Fat32 (vfat) or NTFS Windows style file formats can be read.

Butthead
June 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Or learn to use the Linux terminal:

To mount floppy: mount /media/floppy

To unmount it when finished accessing it: umount (notice no "n') /media/floppy

To view what files are on it: ls /media/floppy | more

To read a text file on it: cat /media/floppy/filename.txt | more

To learn how to format it, etc: apropos floppy, and then use the "MAN" command to see what each command does.

ron999
June 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
With Karmic Koala I have to use this method:-

Comment out the /dev/fd0 entry in the /etc/fstab file and reboot.

Then to mount the floppy use:-

sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

To unmount use:-

sudo umount /dev/fd0