PDA

View Full Version : MeeGo desktop in Lucid x64?

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Anyone know if the MeeGo DE is available to install? I'd really like to have it as an alternative in my GDM so I can have it on my TV and tablet, just for the sake of testing it out and seeing if it's better for some things.

I assume it's open source, so it shouldn't be too difficult to use, especially when Dell ships a version of Netbook Remix with Moblin's DE in it.

Anyone done this yet or have information on how I could, most easily do so?

murderslastcrow
June 4th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Lol, I guess this is the time for me to make a PPA.

cariboo
June 4th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I downloaded the img file from here (http://meego.com/downloads/releases/1.0/meego-v1.0-netbooks), this is for the netbook version, which is 32-bit. I didn't see anything listed for 64-bit. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

DeadSuperHero
June 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Technically speaking, every part of MeeGo is open source. So, it should be able to build given enough tweaking.

But, it's one of those "Not really supported by Intel" type of things. They support Intel chips, possibly x86, and ARM. No word on whether AMD will ever work with it, which bums me out.

amitabhishek
June 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM
They support Intel chips, possibly x86, and ARM. No word on whether AMD will ever work with it, which bums me out.

Me too! My both notebooks are AMD powered :(!

And why on Earth can't they release an .iso image!!!

mickie.kext
June 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Well, Atom is 32-bit only in-order P.O.C of a procesor. I dont think there will be oficial 64-bit build any time soon.

They optimised it for LPIA as far as I can see, which pretty much turns me off MeeGo. I really not like seeing Intel work anything with Linux beyond drivers for their hardware. They would really like to bring it back to 1991 when kernel used every (miss)feature of x86 CPUs. But we do not have Digital now to port it to Alpha and abstract intelism.

DeadSuperHero
June 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
You'd think, though, that someone would be at least smart enough to use a 64-bit kernel, and try porting over as many native 64-bit libraries as possible. That would at least make the actual porting of MeeGo itself a lot simpler.

ve4cib
June 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
But MeeGo is primarily intended for embedded/mobile devices. You don't typically find a 64-bit CPU in a mobile or a netbook, so I can understand why 64-bit support is low on their list of priorities, especially right now when the project is just starting.

zekopeko
June 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Technically speaking, every part of MeeGo is open source. So, it should be able to build given enough tweaking.

But, it's one of those "Not really supported by Intel" type of things. They support Intel chips, possibly x86, and ARM. No word on whether AMD will ever work with it, which bums me out.

Why wouldn't AMD chips work?

AFAIK for Moblin you had to have a processor that supports SSE3 instruction set.
Here is a list of AMD processors that support that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3#CPUs_with_SSE3

So I don't see why AMD chips wouldn't be supported.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. Moblin needed SSSE3 not SSE3.
http://meego.com/devices/netbook/supported-hardware-platforms

murderslastcrow
June 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'm only interested in the desktop environment- I assume it's open enough to support Ubuntu daemons and such, since Banshee is their default media player and it looks pretty nice. I can't imagine they're only supporting specific applications, since they show so many applications working with it.

I imagine, given the source, it won't be too difficult to modify that package, unless it wraps around specific drivers only available on integrated Intel graphics chips. If that's the case, I might as well make my own.

tgm4883
June 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Well, Atom is 32-bit only in-order P.O.C of a procesor. I dont think there will be oficial 64-bit build any time soon.

They optimised it for LPIA as far as I can see, which pretty much turns me off MeeGo. I really not like seeing Intel work anything with Linux beyond drivers for their hardware. They would really like to bring it back to 1991 when kernel used every (miss)feature of x86 CPUs. But we do not have Digital now to port it to Alpha and abstract intelism.

Not true. My Netbook at a 64-bit Atom processor, but the UNE is only released in 32-bit :(

murderslastcrow
June 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Oh yeah, I've been hearing about those dual-core Atoms, lately. I think they're trying to compete with the new high-powered ARMs that've been coming out recently. This certainly is an interesting market to watch, especially since Linux-based offerings are the only options in some areas.

I'm actually really glad Linux has finally found its niche here. MeeGo looks amazing.

mickie.kext
June 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Not true. My Netbook at a 64-bit Atom processor, but the UNE is only released in 32-bit :(

Hmm... I am pretty sure that all netbook models of Atom have -64 extensions disabled via microcode (which means that architecure is 64-bit capable, just Intel likes to cripple it for later up-sell) but desktop (or so called Nettop) models have -64 extension enabled. So you could have a desktop model in that netbook.

*looking...*

Yeah, I am right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

Atom implements the x86 (IA-32) instruction set; x86-64 is so far only activated for the desktop Diamondville and desktop and mobile Pineview cores. The Atom N2xx and Z5xx series Atom models cannot run x86-64 code.[16]

tgm4883
June 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah, I've been hearing about those dual-core Atoms, lately. I think they're trying to compete with the new high-powered ARMs that've been coming out recently. This certainly is an interesting market to watch, especially since Linux-based offerings are the only options in some areas.

I'm actually really glad Linux has finally found its niche here. MeeGo looks amazing.

Hmm... I am pretty sure that all netbook models of Atom have -64 extensions disabled via microcode (which means that architecure is 64-bit capable, just Intel likes to cripple it for later up-sell) but desktop (or so called Nettop) models have -64 extension enabled. So you could have a desktop model in that netbook.

*looking...*

Yeah, I am right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

Nope, I have a mobile Pineview core. It's an N450 in my HP mini 210

zekopeko
June 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Nope, I have a mobile Pineview core. It's an N450 in my HP mini 210

Pineview is 64-bit enabled. The problem are the older N and Z series that apparently aren't 64-bit enabled.