PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Linux

DriftingSilently86
June 2nd, 2010, 05:04 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm new to Linux so I don't know that much about it. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my HP Pavilion dv4. It has an AMD x86 Architecture and did have Win7 on it. But I'm getting fed up with Windows. I am currently in the National Guard and am deployed in Iraq. I have to deal with computers all day, everyday. I just hate Windows now. But anyways, I switched to Ubuntu and I found that I needed to install alot of plugins to get the machine working how I want it. I need to install the Windows Media Audio & Encoder plugins to play music. Also I need the dvd encoder and mp3 codec. The problem is I can't find them. Ive looked everywhere and all of them only go up to Ubuntu 6 or 7 version. Where can I find a list of Ubuntu 10 codecs that will work with my amdx86 computer? Thanks in advance.

xc3RnbFO8P
June 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm new to Linux so I don't know that much about it. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my HP Pavilion dv4. It has an AMD x86 Architecture and did have Win7 on it. But I'm getting fed up with Windows. I am currently in the National Guard and am deployed in Iraq. I have to deal with computers all day, everyday. I just hate Windows now. But anyways, I switched to Ubuntu and I found that I needed to install alot of plugins to get the machine working how I want it. I need to install the Windows Media Audio & Encoder plugins to play music. Also I need the dvd encoder and mp3 codec. The problem is I can't find them. Ive looked everywhere and all of them only go up to Ubuntu 6 or 7 version. Where can I find a list of Ubuntu 10 codecs that will work with my amdx86 computer? Thanks in advance.

(Lucid 32 bit)
In Terminal one by one:

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

sudo apt-get install w32codecs

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
You can check in Ubuntu Software Center for more Codec and Software (in View choose All Software) , just type codec in search window.

Rasa1111
June 2nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
or if you want it easier~

just install Ubuntu restricted extras~
That has always worked for everything I need.

in Software center, {Applications menu, at the bottom is software center}
type "restricted extras" into the search box at top right.
Then install it.

VLC might be something youll want also.
It plays most everything without additional codecs.

But get the Ubuntu restricted extras first~
see if that doesnt solve your issues.

If you dont want to use software center, and want to use the terminal,
Just open terminal and put

sudo apt-get ubuntu-restricted-extras
then your password, and it will install everything youll probably need.

http://www.kartook.com/2010/05/ubuntu-how-to-install-ubuntu-restricted-extras-on-ubuntu-10-04lucid/

ohh, welcome here,
and thank you. <3
Blessings