PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ralink USB Adapter

donaldshelton
June 2nd, 2010, 04:18 AM
I just got a new (used) Dell desktop with (ugh) Windows XP SP 3 installed.

I also bought a Ralink Wireless adapter. The device manager tells me that it is a RT 73.

I looked on the Ralink website, and they do offer linux drivers for their adapters. RT 73, however, isn't on their list of available drivers.

Am I missing something? The adapter itself says Ceiva, which I understand is a picture frame company.

Can someone direct me to where I can get a Ubuntu 10.04 driver for this adapter? Otherwise, sniff sniff, I'll have to delete the Ubuntu from the machine, as I don't have a long enough network cable to connect to the modem.

Thanks

If any more info is needed, please respond.

Don

tom.swartz07
June 2nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Did you try just plugging it in with Ubuntu? 95% of the time the drivers wont need to be installed, or they could be found right after with Jockey (Hardware Drivers from the system menu)

donaldshelton
June 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Did you try just plugging it in with Ubuntu? 95% of the time the drivers wont need to be installed, or they could be found right after with Jockey (Hardware Drivers from the system menu)

I did try--and I tried with Hardware Drivers, and it says there are no proprietary drivers

3rdalbum
June 2nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the rt73 chipset is supported out-of-the-box on Ubuntu - I think one of my devices uses it.

When you say that it doesn't work, exactly how little does it work? Can you detect networks? If you can, and you can connect but Firefox says it can't find any websites, then your router may have a problem sending its DHCP information. You can work around this problem through the instructions at my website:
http://www.chrislees.info/ubuntu/opendns.shtml

donaldshelton
June 2nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the rt73 chipset is supported out-of-the-box on Ubuntu - I think one of my devices uses it.

When you say that it doesn't work, exactly how little does it work? Can you detect networks? If you can, and you can connect but Firefox says it can't find any websites, then your router may have a problem sending its DHCP information. You can work around this problem through the instructions at my website:
http://www.chrislees.info/ubuntu/opendns.shtml

No wireless networks show up, nor in the pull down menu at the top of the screen does it say "wireless"-just "wired networks".

The icon at the top of the screen is of "waves" with a red ! through it. I right click on it, and enabled networking is checked.

I am using this same adapter with windows while writing this note!