PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install programs into Ubuntu

swift110
June 2nd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Hello all I was wondering how to install programs etc into Ubuntu 9.10 but I have one problem: I don't have internet access at home How do I get around this?

Ozymandias_117
June 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM
Try this out: http://keryxproject.org/

tekkidd
June 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
you can go to packages.ubuntu.com and download the packages and their dependencies from there

Frdbrkl
June 2nd, 2010, 03:32 AM
Install and use Apt on CD. It's available in the Lucid Main repository I believe. It's also available through the Ubuntu Software Center. It's designed specifically for this situation.

Good Luck!

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
Guys he said he doesn't have internet.

Elfy
June 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
Guys he said he doesn't have internet.

and you can access all 3 of those off-site and then transfer the information.

Jakiejake
June 2nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hello all I was wondering how to install programs etc into Ubuntu 9.10 but I have one problem: I don't have internet access at home How do I get around this?

As they said
Download From The Ubuntu website at work or the library or on a friends computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, Haiku etc)

Drenriza
June 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
download what you need here.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/

once downloaded the files, copy them to a cd/usb stick or something else. when you get some double tab the .deb files and you will install.

flyfishingphil
June 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Let's start with the basics to your question with some questions.

Do you have access to the 'net at work, the library, a friends place?

Do you have, or can you get, a USB stick? 4GB should be enough to store just about everything you may want.

You should be able to download, when you have access, save to the USB stick, take it home and copy it over to your computer and install it from there.

One of the things that have impressed me, doing download/installs, at Ubuntu software center or the synaptics, has been the speed at which it is done.

Now, a question for others that I don't have the answer to:

How do you get into Synaptics or software center if you are on a computer that doesn't have ubuntu in it? Just wondering so maybe swift110 might be able to get what he wants when on a computer that's not running ubuntu.

OLDMANHOOK
June 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
To use the keryxproject you still need some type of highspeed net access If you have no access this is not free but works OSDisc sells a DVD set (7) with most of the software you need. I have used them and they work Inst. is Included get some of your friends and share the cost about $30.00US some tine the library won't allow this type of download.