PDA

View Full Version : How to stop using the computer?

TheNerdAL
June 2nd, 2010, 01:17 AM
I think I am an addict. O.o.

In particular, I would like to be able to block certain sites which is the reason I use the computer a lot, how would I do it? Thanks.

Any other tips would be helpful.

razorboy5
June 2nd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Willpower is key :P

there's ways to disable sites and such however u can always reverse it (i disconnected everything in my computer for the time for exams thinking i wont put it back cuz its too much hassle but about the 2nd day in i put it back and started gaming on it...)

also there's a screenlock feature in ubuntu 10.04 i think, where it locks u out for specified amount of time after using the comp for a specified amount of time. can't find it atm

red_Marvin
June 2nd, 2010, 01:24 AM
A large hammer works, but lacks subtlety and is perhaps not very good at precisely blocking certain sites and not others.
You should be able to block sites by redirect them to localhost or something like that in /etc/hosts,
eg
127.0.0.1 www.something.that.needs.blocking

overdrank
June 2nd, 2010, 01:28 AM
Step away from the machine. =;:)

Sporkman
June 2nd, 2010, 01:30 AM
Try to enter into a relationship based on mutual respect with the computer.

TheNerdAL
June 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
:)

Lol, nice one. xD

v1ad
June 2nd, 2010, 01:39 AM
i will now gather my willpower to get off my computer and read a book.

undecim
June 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
If you have StumbleUpon, or any similar time-wasting add-on, uninstall it.

Set yourself a time limit and stick to it. If you can't do that, there's no way to keep yourself off the computer.

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
Make a compromise. Find a hobby that you can do on the computer that's productive.

Simian Man
June 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
Women help.

Sporkman
June 2nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
Women help.

The primate's right.

Kdar
June 2nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
..I would like to be able to block certain site...

pr0n?

mmix
June 2nd, 2010, 02:02 AM
You don't have to stop,
On the contrary, stack overflowing the usage of the computer.

then, you will stop or use it freely.

98cwitr
June 2nd, 2010, 02:23 AM

In particular, I would like to be able to block certain sites which is the reason I use the computer a lot, how would I do it? Thanks.

sell your computer(s) on craigslist...cancel your internet service. Problem solved.

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
pr0n?

Facebook? FarmVille?

TheNerdAL
June 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
sell your computer(s) on craigslist...cancel your internet service. Problem solved.

I am on a particular site that's why. I want to design and stuff like that.

standingwave
June 2nd, 2010, 02:43 AM
Stop paying the electric bill. In a couple of months your problem will be solved.

papangul
June 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Be mentally prepared to bear the pain of the withdrawal effect and spending long time outdoors helps.

I get addicted and also get out of that addiction on a regular basis!

pwnst*r
June 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Make a compromise. Find a hobby that you can do on the computer that's productive.

How is that a compromise? Worst. advice. ever.

Go outside, make some real friends, play an outside sport, volunteer, and the list goes on.

markinf
June 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Unfortunately I'm with the same problem. I'm staying in the computer about 16h+ at day. And the worst part is that my hobbies are anime and games which directly involves computers :/

Help me guys...

sudoer541
June 2nd, 2010, 03:23 AM

If you want, I can totally help you with your computer addiction!!!

Here is a solution:

Step 1) disconnect all your cables from your computer

Step 2) Put your monitor, keyboard, mouse, CPU, speakers on a large box (or medium sized boxes)

Step 3) put electrical tape to seal the box(es)

Step 4) send the box(es) to the following address:

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

MOD EDIT: DO NOT POST PERSONAL INFORMATION HERE!

And Ill pay for shipping and handling!!!:P

lisati
June 2nd, 2010, 03:27 AM
Don't be fooled by those who tell you about will power, and no disrespect intended towards those who have already mentioned it. It probably has more to do with "won't" power, as in finding the determination to say, "I won't use the computer", together with suitable follow-up.

nmccrina
June 2nd, 2010, 03:32 AM
I wish I knew. :-k

yester64
June 2nd, 2010, 04:34 AM
The force worked for Luke Skywalker, he became a Jedi and he did not use computers that much.

The best way is to put a helmet on with no eyewholes. That should help. :rolleyes:

BoneKracker
June 2nd, 2010, 04:51 AM
How is that a compromise? Worst. advice. ever.

Go outside, make some real friends, play an outside sport, volunteer, and the list goes on.
:lol:
++

This 12-step program
http://www.icaservices.com/treatment.htm

says it's about "setting limits" (and they have a pdf on the subject):
http://www.icaservices.com/downloads/pdfs/ICAS-Setting%20Limits.pdf

Maybe you need to configure your router to block your connection to the Internet except for limited periods of time.

Timmer1240
June 2nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
If you Find out how Please let me know too!LOL!

juancarlospaco
June 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Give it to me.

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
Don't just think of not doing something on the computer, or not going to a distracting website. It's just like the white bear- try not to think of the white bear, and you will unavoidably find that you end up thinking of the white bear, or you're always on the verge of thinking of it.

The key is to simply find something else to do in the meantime. Replace the behavior, don't just sit around with the computer staring at the back of your head. Engage yourself in something you find interesting or important, outside of what you can do on the computer.

Go run for a bit, just don't be a wuss. If you come back to this thread with a wussy attitude, I'm gonna' make you reinstall Ubuntu using the minimal CD to put some hair on your chest. XD

ubuntu27
June 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
Women help.

Yes, they do! ;-)

And if you are a woman, Man can help :D

mamamia88
June 2nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
put a picture so repulsive on your desktop that you will learn not to want to use your computer

Rasa1111
June 2nd, 2010, 05:43 AM
Spending time in the forest helps.
Meditation can also help allot, with many things we'd like to change.

Meditation in the forest is even better. lol

"without struggle there is no progress."

know, that you will do what you need to, when you need to do it.
best wishes. <3

lisati
June 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Women help.

In her own way, Mrs Lisati is good at making sure that I don't get too wrapped up in my own little computer-centric world. Sometimes it seems like a nuisance, particularly when I'm thinking of dusting off the programming skills for some project. Other times, she helps remind me (without actually saying so) that there's more to life than pouring coffee down my throat while reading the forums.

BoneKracker
June 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
put a picture so repulsive on your desktop that you will learn not to want to use your computer

Or you could try this:
http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg

dreamquartz
June 2nd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Do NOT terminate your relation with the computer completely, but try to get distracted for extended periods of time.
You could get a girlfriend for instance. The result will be that at one point in time you will have to deal with the potential inlaws.
At that point you will be very happy that you still have a way out.

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
In her own way, Mrs Lisati is good at making sure that I don't get too wrapped up in my own little computer-centric world. Sometimes it seems like a nuisance, particularly when I'm thinking of dusting off the programming skills for some project. Other times, she helps remind me (without actually saying so) that there's more to life than pouring coffee down my throat while reading the forums.

I thought I was the only one being told that. My 6 year old makes sure I spend plenty of time away from the PC in the evenings, too.

Ioky
June 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
try to learn do everything by hand, it is a lot of fun. and in no time you will become some kind of master...

This is seriously thought it sounds not... haha..

For example. Drawing all those thing CAD do by hand.

in the end it will looks better, and people can read it better. As an experience as an architect.

anyway, once you know how to do everything by hand... you will never want to do anything with computer. Maybe except google, and facebook, for most of the people... haha

proggy
June 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
sudo apt-get remove computer
sudo apt-get --purge remove user

Berk
June 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Don't be fooled by those who tell you about will power, and no disrespect intended towards those who have already mentioned it. It probably has more to do with "won't" power, as in finding the determination to say, "I won't use the computer", together with suitable follow-up.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the daftest things I have read for a while. I think you have some strange definition of willpower. Will power is the strength of mind to carry out a decision, will in this case has nothing to do with what they will or will not do, will is the persons conscious decision, and their willingness to stick to it.

Will power plays a large part in any decision, if you have the determination to keep yourself from wasting time on the computer then you're half way there.

Khakilang
June 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Go to rehab centre. Get your self cure of addiction.

Rasa1111
June 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM

lol.. i always love your replies :D <3

Random_Dude
June 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately I'm with the same problem. I'm staying in the computer about 16h+ at day. And the worst part is that my hobbies are anime and games which directly involves computers :/

Help me guys...

16h+ a day???
You're kidding right? You only stop less than 8h for eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, etc..?

Sporkman
June 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

He don't wanna go to rehab
He say "no, no, no!"

pwnst*r
June 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
He don't wanna go to rehab
He say "no, no, no!"

Lol

Jackelope
June 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
You should trade in your PC for a crappy netbook. You won't want to use it as much if the screen and keyboard suck and you can't use it for gaming.

--or--

Use OpenDNS and blacklist all the stuff you don't want. It'll filter websites on one computer or on all of them via your router.

If you're too tempted to change it/take it off, set it up on a wireless router and give a friend the password. Then give the router to your neighbors. That way you can't physically access it to change anything.

Good luck.

whiskeylover
June 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
To the OP - as others have said, go out more often, buy a mountain bike, get a girlfriend, stop being such a nerd.

LOLWUT

will power

–noun
control of one's impulses and actions; self-control.

98cwitr
June 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
I am on a particular site that's why. I want to design and stuff like that.

Kill your desires and aspirations...if you keep the computer, but kill the internet connection, you can still design and stuff

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
You should trade in your PC for a crappy netbook. You won't want to use it as much if the screen and keyboard suck and you can't use it for gaming.

I find it odd that I can play all of the same games on my netbook as my daughter plays on her desktop. I have also written papers, managed other systems via SSH, and used it to diagnose other people's network issues. Not to mention that being 64bit flash sucks, I watch videos on my netbook without any problems. It beats lugging around a 20 inch laptop any day.

Penguin Guy
June 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
I admit I did used to be pretty addicted to my computer + xbox. Until one day the xbox broke; in the months it took to replace it (thanks MS) I took up guitar, and when I got my xbox back I found my problem was solved. Now, after being on a computer/xbox for more than about two hours, I get bored.

On an unrelated note, I also discovered Linux during the xboxless period - looks like I've got MS to thank for a lot.

*turns off computer*

uOpt
June 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM

Start playing a MMORPG.

markinf
June 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
16h+ a day???
You're kidding right? You only stop less than 8h for eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, etc..?

Unfortunately I"m not.

I start working 8:00 and go till 12:00 (4 hours)
12:00 to 13:00 (1 hour lunch)
13:00 to 21:00 (6 hours, work + school)
21:00 to 22:00 (1 dinner and bath)
22:00 to 2:00 AM (4 hours coding/browsing the web)

Yeah, pretty much 14-16 hours. :/

98cwitr
June 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Start playing a MMORPG.

...with TeamSpeak

http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/aaBlog/2006/media/1115-SouthParkDoesWoW.jpg

eriktheblu
June 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4476/

98cwitr
June 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
wow...we as a generation really lack self-control dont we 8-[

Sporkman
June 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
wow...we as a generation really lack self-control dont we 8-[

..and empathy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1495651).

98cwitr
June 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
..and empathy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1495651).

bwhahahahaaha

Random_Dude
June 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately I"m not.

I start working 8:00 and go till 12:00 (4 hours)
12:00 to 13:00 (1 hour lunch)
13:00 to 21:00 (6 hours, work + school)
21:00 to 22:00 (1 dinner and bath)
22:00 to 2:00 AM (4 hours coding/browsing the web)

Yeah, pretty much 14-16 hours. :/

Well that's not computer addiction, sounds more like workaholic to me. :/

Maybe you should take some breaks during the day and start to get more sleep. Coding at such late hours everyday it's probably not healthy.

Cheers :cool:

Grace_11
June 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
sleep.
but dont be mobile addict ;)

Grace_11
June 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM

just come here to live in india specially in ruler areas.
12-15 hours of power cut wont allow you to start your Computer. :P
i am not talking about laptop ;)
i am already facing 6 hours of power cut daily :(

Rasa1111
June 3rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
Al, friend...

Ceasing to post and care about things such as this~
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1500650

would be a good start.

murderslastcrow
June 4th, 2010, 12:55 AM
*facepalm* Rasa1111, you're so right. T^T Nothing could suppress its importance.

Yellow Pasque
June 6th, 2010, 05:06 AM
other times, she helps remind me (without actually saying so) that there's more to life than pouring coffee down my throat while reading the forums.
blasphemy!

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I am afraid I am addicted too.
Wait...
I can quit if I want to!
To bad I don't....

madjr
June 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Willpower is key :P

there's ways to disable sites and such however u can always reverse it (i disconnected everything in my computer for the time for exams thinking i wont put it back cuz its too much hassle but about the 2nd day in i put it back and started gaming on it...)

also there's a screenlock feature in ubuntu 10.04 i think, where it locks u out for specified amount of time after using the comp for a specified amount of time. can't find it atm

i use workrave

http://www.workrave.org/

in the keyboard options is something similar

handy
June 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Sell it.