PDA

View Full Version : What motivates us?

Madspyman
June 2nd, 2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc&feature=player_embedded

Check out this video about what money really has to do with motivation.

TheNerdAL
June 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc&feature=player_embedded

Check out this video about what money really has to do with motivation.

That was worth watching!

He draws good too. :P

overdrank
June 2nd, 2010, 01:23 AM
Nice :)

JDShu
June 2nd, 2010, 01:27 AM
Behavioral economics is immensely interesting and gaining fashion within the world of economics. For more of this stuff, take a look at Predicatably Irrational, by Dan Ariely (http://www.predictablyirrational.com/), which is a very easy read aimed at non econ profs :P Also take a look at the TED talk by Daniel Kahneman. (http://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_kahneman_the_riddle_of_experience_vs_memory .html)

This is one of my favorite subjects :D

lovinglinux
June 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM
Really cool. Thanks for sharing.

WinterRain
June 2nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
Sex is the root of everything.

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Great vid. When it first started I was thinking I wasn't going to watch 10+ minutes of rambling, but when it was done I wanted more.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, when people feel there is a purpose to doing something, then he or she will be will do better at it.

v1ad
June 2nd, 2010, 03:15 AM
loved it and i totally agree with it.

wilee-nilee
June 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM
Interesting video and well put together, but this is known information, this was covered in a intro to psychology class at my University. Also if you study Industrial Psychology this is really part of the curriculum, and where the biggest paychecks are for a Psych major.

chessnerd
June 2nd, 2010, 04:02 AM
Food is a very powerful motivator, but only when you need it. If I offer you a free meal when you are full, you'll probably say "no" even though you need food to survive. It doesn't make sense at first, but if you are already satisfied, you don't need more. The same is true for money.

This video isn't saying that companies can pay someone $2 an hour and expect them to do a great job. As long as money is an issue, they will be too stressed about money to be productive. In order for this to work, you need to pay the person as much money as it takes for them to not worry about money. Then, they will work unencumbered.

The people who contribute to Wikipedia and Linux and Apache generally have jobs, or are in school. They don't expect monetary rewards for their efforts because they don't need more money. All they want is the reward of doing a good job for the sake of doing good.

In psychology, we did a unit about happiness and depression. It turns out that, after a certain point, more money doesn't make you any happier. A person who owns a mansion is no happier than most home owners. You would think that making $250,000+ a year would mean you are much happier than someone who makes $75,000. The truth is, you aren't.

What matters isn't how much money you make, it is making enough money that money is no longer a concern that keeps you up at night. Once you give someone that amount, they will work because they want to, not because they have to.

wilee-nilee
June 2nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Ego is the underlying outlier possibly.

juancarlospaco
June 2nd, 2010, 05:26 AM
Its so wrong, no Girls?, no Beer?

Frak
June 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
I've said this exact same thing over the course of, I don't know, a few years. I would be mad that now people listen, but this makes me overjoyed. When you've reached your resource limit, you no longer have an urge for something. Money is no different. I would rather do what I want than to have what I want. Those are two very different goals.

WinterRain
June 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Great vid. When it first started I was thinking I wasn't going to watch 10+ minutes of rambling, but when it was done I wanted more.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, when people feel there is a purpose to doing something, then he or she will be will do better at it.

Well said. What he talked about isn't an absolute truth or anything, but it made sense. Take ubuntuforums as an example, it is one of the largest online communities ever seen, yet most of us have no stake as far as money goes. We do this because we love it. That's why linux grows every day, because it is that good. It's a mindset more than anything. If you want something to work, and have a decent brain, it should be easy.

I actually have a lot of personal issues that make me realize that I probably spend too much time online, and maybe I should spend more time outside. It's easy to get addicted to computers, for sure.

Only 1 problem. I fix/buy/sell pc's for a living, and it's what I do well. I guess I'll stick with it.

BoneKracker
June 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Sex is the root of everything.

++ Yup. Especially for men.
For women, "reproduction" tends to slip in there too around age 30 or so.

WinterRain
June 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
++ Yup. Especially for men.
For women, "reproduction" tends to slip in there too around age 30 or so.

There are exceptions to the rule though. :guitar:

BoneKracker
June 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
There are exceptions to the rule though.
True. Very true. That's why I said "around" and "tends".

Also, we've inadvertently excluded gay people by saying men are motivated by women and women are motivated by men. That's not PC.